Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eleanor Burns patterns >

Eleanor Burns patterns

Eleanor Burns patterns

Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 PM

Do all Eleanor Burns patterns call for making each step of a block or quilt oversize and then cutting it down when you square it up? I am using a pattern called 'How Charming'. First the feature blocks were made too big, then cut down. I don't know why because they were just square with a box around them. Then adding the background was made over-sized then cut down. This one I can see as it involved my first HSTs. Now the filler blocks are just large four patches and guess what - they are cut 5 inches for a 9 inch square. I am getting tired of trimming off every edge. I don't mind squaring the blocks at every step, but this is more than that. Seems like a waste of fabric, too.
I think I'm whining. Sorry.

It's a nice pattern. I think her choice of fabric was better than mine, but I'm not doing sweet florals and calicos these days. Mine is Ginny Beyer prints - rather dark and sophisticated. At this point I don't like the plain cream background, but I'll not worry until it's together.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 PM

I haven't done any of her patterns where you had to cut large and trim down. However, I tend to do that for borders. I always cut them a couple inches longer and trim each side after sewing-that way I know they will fit. I hate wasting fabric, but a couple inches off just the borders will just go into my scrap bins waiting to be used for applique.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:34 AM

This link has the video from Eleanor on how to do the blocks. Looks easy...I think the trimming is to make it look really nice.
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...ay.asp?i=20199
Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 AM

Here are some Free block patterns from Eleanor Burns - all PDF's http://www.quiltinaday.com/freepattern/
Old 01-31-2011, 05:59 AM

El does that so that everybody's blocks come out right. With the cut down method you never have to worry if you are 1/8 short or large on any of the steps. So then she has made all of her rulers so that it makes it easier for you to cut down-----more money for her......
Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 AM

It's working - the blocks are coming out very nice. I think my problem is that it takes more time and I'm on a timeline, as usual.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:28 AM

i am a little lazy too why cut twice?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM

That's actually what annoys me about it - I have one of her books, and you need an army of rulers to do the quilts because of making them over-sized. I'll save my money and do the math to make the blocks correct the first time around, thank you.

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
El does that so that everybody's blocks come out right. With the cut down method you never have to worry if you are 1/8 short or large on any of the steps. So then she has made all of her rulers so that it makes it easier for you to cut down-----more money for her......
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 AM
bj

I think on that one, it's because she's using charms that are precut to 5" already, but they make a block a little bigger than she wants for the quilt. Her trademark seems to be make a little bigger and trim to size so you have a more precise block when you are finished. Makes sewing them together a lot easier (learned that the hard way!).
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 AM

Throwing the scraps & trimmings around is part of
Eleanor's schtick. Watch her tv show if you have a chance or if in Paducah for the quilt show, go watch her live. She is a hoot!

And no, I don't buy her rulers and the only wasteful piecing method I use is paper-piecing and that I use only for very complicated blocks.

If I like one her patterns, I go by the finished size block and add on seam allowances.