Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery (computer, jump drive) help needed >

Embroidery (computer, jump drive) help needed

Embroidery (computer, jump drive) help needed

Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 AM

I get most of my embroidery designs from emblibrary.com – and they give the option of downloading the unzipped files (that saves the step of unzipping the files). I have a number of flash drives that I use (they are inexpensive, and I would rather have smaller-capacity ones so I don’t have to go through as many files to find the one I want). I get my flash drives from OEMPCWorld–I bought a bunch of 256MB ones for $3.00 (free shipping): http://www.oempcworld.com/OEMPCworld-com/Drive-Cap.html

To put your designs onto the flash drive: put the flash drive in a USB port on your computer; go to the designs (I have a special folder on the “C” drive for mine, with a shortcut on the desktop); highlight the design(s) you want; right-click and click “Copy”. In Windows Explorer, go to the location of the flash drive (under “Computer”, it will show your drives, so you will see where the flash drive is plugged in); right-click on the flash drive location and click “Paste”. That will put the design(s) on the flash drive, but still leave them on your computer for future use. Be sure you copy only the “jef” file (for Janome machines); if you have a PDF color sheet, it does not go onto the flash drive because the embroidery machine can’t read that format.

Plug the flash drive into your embroidery machine, and select the USB button–it will bring up the designs on the flash drive; select the design you want.

Embroidery Library has an outstanding tutorial on how to organize designs on your computer. I use that format because I like to be able to see what the design will look like. I use the categories that are used at that website, and have subfolders for individual designs. I print the color sheet when I get ready to embroider a design, and file it in a notebook. I make notations on it to reflect thread colors that I use, in case I want to repeat the design later.

Here’s the link to the tutorial: http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/elproje...oductID=PR1735
Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Dianne, it really does sound like your problem is more in basic computer skills. Don't know if you were kidding or not, but if you have a teen relative or friend, that's not a bad idea. Moving an embroidery FILE to the jump drive, then organizing the files into FOLDERs is a basic PC skill that you can apply to other things. It's not embroidery specific!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Many thanks gals for your suggestions. I think a basic computer class is what I need, but I am printing off every post that has steps to help me. I really appreciate the info you have shared!!!!!! Quilting has led me to the nicest people!!!!!!

Happy New Year! Dianne
Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by mlt150 View Post
Many thanks gals for your suggestions. I think a basic computer class is what I need, but I am printing off every post that has steps to help me. I really appreciate the info you have shared!!!!!! Quilting has led me to the nicest people!!!!!!

Happy New Year! Dianne
A class might help, but don't think that you have to take a class.

Do you know how to create a file on your computer desktop?

If so, make one and rename it machine embroidery files. Then, download your files there. Then, at least they will all be in that one. if You don't know how, just look it up. It's probably on youtube how to create a file.

I'd then, take that file, and click on it to open it up. Then, right click and when the options show up, and one says "New Folder", release the button there and a new folder will show. Click on that and rename it to whatever you want. Do that over and over again and you can create files for the different categories of the files you are downloading.

This is much better than putting them all in one big file called machine embroidery files. I have to admit that having one big file is better than having them all over your computer, but having them subdivided by category or company is better yet.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM

OK.... I decided to write it up using the version of Windows I have. Put your cursor on your desktop and right click your mouse. A bunch of options come up. I am putting a picture of what it looks like on mine. You see about 2/3 of the way down an opt[ATTACH=CONFIG]384125[/ATTACH]

Let go of the mouse button when the new 'folder' is highlighted. You will then see a folder appear. That is your new folder. Give it a name. Do that over and over til you have the number of folders you want.
Attached Thumbnails windows-screen1.jpg  
Old 12-26-2012, 05:22 PM

go to http://www.spoolsstash.com/ and d/l the free file organizer. Save it to MY Documents. Open to find many folders already named for storing your designs (tho you can change the names)
I download designs from the internet & they go into the downloads folder on My Docs page. I open the folder, then open or unzip what I've downloaded. Then I either R click & choose ''send to My Documents, OR I click on "move" at the left side of the page. I then choose My Docs from the list. Then I go back to My Docs and sort the designs into the folders inside the organizer. If I want to use one or two or 3, I highlite the designs, again on the left of the page, I choose "COPY" and a window opens for me to choose where to send it or them. If I have a flash drive plugged in, it will show in that window as a certain drive (you might have to be watching in "MY COMPUTOR when you plug it in to know which drive your memory stick is in (I have several)---choose your flash drive ,then again click "copy"--this time at the bottom of the window. If you're sending the designs directly to the machine instead of using the flash drive, then you should have a little sewing machine icon in the task bar (or in My Computer page) and you would just ''copy'' to that. Now I have Windows XP, so this is how I do it. I find it works for me better to keep everything on my documents page instead of cluttering my desktop.
You will enjoy the design organizer. When you've stored the various designs by category, then you can close the main folder again. And don't forget--you MUST unzip and open folders before copying to the flash drive...the machine cannot read them otherwise. And be sure the designs are the correct format for your machine or they won't show up..nor will they if the size is larger than your hoop can handle. There are free softwares for changing format..There is a free software for thumbnail viewer at
http://www.sharewareconnection.com/p...-generator.htm and MY EDITOR is another that shows the image, resizes, reformats, splits/erases, digitizes from clipart, etc etc.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 PM

Wow we have all kinds of information for us beginners out there!!! I am finding the same problem with the "learning curve" and getting older is harder for the memory to retain!!! thanks everyone for all the helpful information. Even though we have different machines, we all use the basics in embroidery. I have found to just take it a step at a time and try to make has many full notes you can to follow in the future!! I wouldlove to see pics of everyones projects too!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Anytime I have to learn something new I try to take a class or have a one-on-one free from my LQS. I take my camera and a spiral notebook with me. I have even taken a tape recorder a few times. I find if I can write down instructions so that I can follow them it is much better than following an instruction book. Keeping these notes in a spiral binder and organized there helps me whenever I have to relearn something.

I also have a file on my computer for things I need to know. For example: I'll copy and paste into a Word document parts of some of the responses above and save so I'll have even more help for when needed.

Something I haven't done yet [OK, I'm lazy] is to use the website provided by the maker of my machine [Pfaff] and read the various discussions. A friend does this and has learned a lot. She even enters into the discussions. [I don't want to spend that much time on my computer though.]

Last edited by AliKat; 12-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Do you have windows. Its not too hard. What I am doing is I created a embroidery design folder in my documents with different folder categories, FSL(free standing lace), ITH(in the hoop), Christmas, quilting, animal, flower, fonts, labels etc. Downloading my editor for free does this for you. Most site will ask you your format and hoop size and you can pay for the designs and they download to your download folder, some will unzip them for you. If not you just right click and you select extract all and you choose the folder by hitting browse and searching for the folder. Then they are stored on your hard drive and you need to copy them to your zip drive which you just do a copy paste. I keep everything on my hard drive and have several zip drives with my designs. I would suggest organizing the hard drive first and then transferring because my zip drives are random and I need to get them more organized.

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 12-26-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:01 PM

Same happened to me. I had my embroidery machine for a couple of month and did nothing. What made the trick was going to a class at the dealer. Best advise is to take notes. Just take detailed notes even thought you might think you "got it". Step by step, like: open the file, right click, click open, enter... etc.
Then go home and do it again. You will have time to innovate later, once you feel comfortable with the task/function you learned. My first embroideries were from the built in designs on my machine because I didn't have a clue as to how "take" them from the computer to the machine.
As for the organization, I am trying, I am creating files for each type but I read the comment about the company where it was bought and made me think. I haven't done that but usually they send you and email and I kept the emails in a folder so I guess I could retrieve it from there.
good luck and show us your work.
andrea