Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 151 of 276 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 150 151 152 161 201 251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 2753

Thread: Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

In general the size of a needle should correspond to the size of thread, not the type of design. I use a size 11 for just about everything since I generally use a 40 weight thrad. I also have some size 10s that I used for an heirloom 50 wt thread on fine batiste. The pro machines have different needles than the home machines that last much longer (a few hundred thousand stitches), and I still go through a LOT of needles. I buy in bulk and just buy the 11s. I even use a 11 on thick quilted fabrics. For metallics, I use Yenmet and I have no troubles with it and an 11 either. Some metallics are more fragile though and might need a bigger eye.

Pam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
    In general the size of a needle should correspond to the size of thread, not the type of design. I use a size 11 for just about everything since I generally use a 40 weight thrad. I also have some size 10s that I used for an heirloom 50 wt thread on fine batiste. The pro machines have different needles than the home machines that last much longer (a few hundred thousand stitches), and I still go through a LOT of needles. I buy in bulk and just buy the 11s. I even use a 11 on thick quilted fabrics. For metallics, I use Yenmet and I have no troubles with it and an 11 either. Some metallics are more fragile though and might need a bigger eye.

Pam
    this is true the size of the needle and the type of needle is determined more by the thread than the size of design. Most will tell you to use a sharp when doing FSL because you'll have fewer issues. I tried a reqular emb needle at first when doing FSL and had lots of problems with the thread breaking; I finally went up in size of needle and used a sharp and had no problems. At first I thought it was because my thread was old so I bought new thread of the same kind and still had issues. I was using the cone serger thread because I didn't want to use my expensive thread on what I was making. As soon as I changed the needle size and type I had no problems, even when I went back to using my older thread. The size of design can affect how many layers of stablizer you need though. What I'll do is hoop at least one layer and then take my left over pieces from other projects and using spray basting attach these peices to the hooped layer giving me 2 or more layers. It works great and it cuts down on the cost. Make sure to let it dry before you start embroidering. I'll also buy the WS on the bolt from Joanns and even if its using tearaway as the main one I'll hoop the first layer with the cheaper WS to give extra support. This really is helpful when your stabilizer is a little to short in width for your hoop. You get the extra support and width to support it without spending a fortune.
    Last edited by romanojg; 01-01-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    What I'll do is hoop at least one layer and then take my left over pieces from other projects and using spray basting attach these peices to the hooped layer giving me 2 or more layers. It works great and it cuts down on the cost. Make sure to let it dry before you start embroidering. I'll also buy the WS on the bolt from Joanns and even if its using tearaway as the main one I'll hoop the first layer with the cheaper WS to give extra support. This really is helpful when your stabilizer is a little to short in width for your hoop. You get the extra support and width to support it without spending a fortune.
    Such a smart lady!! Thanks for posting this.

I have never purchased any designs from DesignsBySICK. I am wondering what others think of their designs. Any feedback??
    Sophie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
    I have never purchased any designs from DesignsBySICK. I am wondering what others think of their designs. Any feedback??
    I have never seen any that I liked or either any that met my need at the time.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased the membership from Designs By Sick.

Have not tried to stitch any of them out yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    Wow! Thank you, this is awesome. Just reading the solutions one is fantastic, so I've downloaded the workbook for future reference.
    Great information. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    So glad that the info will work for you.

I resort to this info when I am not sure about what
    kind of stabilizer to use for a certain type of fabric.

MOST of my info that I share with you all comes from
    trial and error on my part. If/when I find something that
    does or does not work I make notes on this so that I can
    pass along to others who might have the same kind of is
    sue that I had.

Sometimes my hints/tips works for others sometimes they
    don't. But if I have an issue and find a tip that might work
    I at least try it, because you never know when you find the
    one that just makes everything "click" into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jratcliff View Post
    Wow! Thank you, this is awesome. Just reading the solutions one is fantastic, so I've downloaded the workbook for future reference.
    Great information. Thank you.

I am kinda new to the QB and am in the market for an embroidery machine. I have been looking at the Janome 350E. A dealer I have worked with before has it for what seems to be a great price. This would be my first emb. machine. I really want a stand-alone rather than a combo machine. My question is, does anyone here on the QB own this machine? And if so, what do you like/not like about it? (If there is a thread where this has already been discussed, please point me to it. I tried two or three different searches, but came up with very little. I've also been to patternreview.com but only found two reviews of this particular machine.) Thanks.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork

"Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Quote Originally Posted by Scraplady View Post
    I am kinda new to the QB and am in the market for an embroidery machine. I have been looking at the Janome 350E. A dealer I have worked with before has it for what seems to be a great price. This would be my first emb. machine. I really want a stand-alone rather than a combo machine. My question is, does anyone here on the QB own this machine? And if so, what do you like/not like about it? (If there is a thread where this has already been discussed, please point me to it. I tried two or three different searches, but came up with very little. I've also been to patternreview.com but only found two reviews of this particular machine.) Thanks.
    Right here at QB is a page of reviews. I found it when I googled "Janome 350E...got pages of reviews. Hope you find answers you're looking for.

I'm seriously considering an embroidery machine....is a Janome 350E a good one?

Page 151 of 276 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 150 151 152 161 201 251 ... LastLast