Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: End of Seam Veers off

When making a 1/4 in seam I've always had a problem with the fabric wanting to go to the left and the end of the seam is too narrow. I've always fought this but to no avail! I'm now using a wooden toothpick to help hold it in place but still does the little trick . Any of you have this problem - fess up. :( :( :(

I find myself doing it...........I'm ok if I keep my mind on what I am doing...I think it was leftover from making clothes.....like darts :D

Ruth - this happens even tho' I'm doing my very best to keep the end of the seam straight. Is it the machine? Do you have any remedys other than pay attention? :?

Now I have a good excuse for the very same problem. I did dressmaking for years, but I don't recall having tht problem with seams in general.

I have heard that some sewing machines sew really straight seams, so I am wondering if the feed dogs do not carry the fabric through in a straight line? I started quilting about 7 years ago and soon realized I had this problem. I have tried to keep my mind focused on that bit at the end of the seam, but I come out with that end of the seam narrower than the beginning. I am totally frustrated.

Either I need a new machine (which ones DON'T do this.
    or I need a new set of eyes?

So, MarMar, you are not alone with this stupid problem. I flip the piece over and start from the opposite end (sometimes) but it is a general nuisance!

Help!!! June in Cincinnati

I have that problem, too. I think I have a tendency to pull it that way with my guiding hand. A pin helps, but I do have to pay attention. Maybe the feeder dogs are pulling it htat way. Also, adjusting the pressure on the foot may help.

Mine does that too, though I find gently guiding the fabric from behind helps. If it gets too bunched up behind the machine, that is when I have problems. Fold, roll, or scoot the material away as it goes through.

maybe we should try going wider at the end and see what happens.
    IITYWYBMAB :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
    maybe we should try going wider at the end and see what happens.
    IITYWYBMAB :wink:
    OK what does IITWYBMAB mean?

Steve, this happens even when I am sewing very short seams. I can certainlly see where longer seams would tend to bunch up, but ones that are 2 1/2 up to about 6 inches don't have much chance to bunch. Thanks anyway.

Come on guys, we need more answers!!!

Where are the experts?

June

ifitellyouwillyoubuymeabeer?

I think it has something to do with the 1/4" and at the end the feed dogs don't have enough to hold onto so it gets crooked, now if only I had a solution!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast