Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cutters >

Fabric cutters

Fabric cutters

Old 08-22-2014, 01:04 AM

I have the Sizzix Big Shot. It saves me so much time when cutting out, perfect for cutting out scraps and very accurate. I also have shape cutter which is great for strips and squares using yardage or large pieces of fabric and obviously I also use a rotary cutter and mat. I bought my Sizzix with a good discount and have found a good supplier for dies and for me the cost is well worth the time saved and accuracy I achieve.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I have the GO and many dies......but I still use my rotary/mat too. It depends on what shape or how much I am cutting of a shape whether I do it manually or with die cutter........I do love the accuracy if the GO, and it has made cutting some shapes so much easier........so what's a little waste.......it's worth the speed and accuracy
I really like my Accuquilt Go. Yes.. The dies are expensive, but they should last for years with a little care and periodic cleaning. I use it for consistency in cutting and sewing triangles. (HSTs) There is very little waste if you pre-cut the strips you need. My hands hurt too much if I do a lot of rotary cutting. Also, I have a tendency to slip when rotary cutting, ending up with cuts that are no longer accurate.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 AM

As an example, I had to cut out 300 hearts for my future DIL for their wedding. The part that took me the longest was cutting the material into strips and then squares but the Accuquilt Go die for hearts cut them in no time. I can't imagine trying to do this any other way.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:35 AM

I have the GO and am enjoying using it. There is little waste and the accurate cuts make the extra expense worthwhile. I'm slowly, but surely, reducing my scrap bins to useable cuts.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 AM

My 2 sisters, mother, and myself, bought a used studio cutter with over 35 dies some new, we have had so much fun cutting out quilts, and so accurate. We feel we got a great deal for $950. My sister is going to make a take five and we have the die, she was so excited .
Old 08-22-2014, 06:44 AM

I use the Sizzix Big Shot all the time. You can use some of the dies for multiple uses. Example: When I need several 2 1/2 in, squares, I cut the strips with the strip cutter. You can then fold each strip four times and lay several of these strips back on the strip cutter and have over 250 accurate 2 1/2 in squares cut with three passes through the machine. As others have said, I don't mind a little waste if I can have consistent, accurate cuts.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM

I've just ordered an apple core die for the sizzix that my mum's friend has lent me. I thought I really needed to try it with something I could piece and didn't want to try anything boring! I figured that I would need to buy a template for an apple core anyway so might as well just go for the die. Then if I really like using it, I'll ask for one for christmas! Feels like a good plan! (and quite unlike me - usually I will get an idea into my head and then just buy it! I'm terrible, but at least I'm thinking this one over properly! That's progress in my view!)
Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM

Several friends have fabric cutters that they bring to all day sews so all can use them. It seems to me that they are more useful for machine applique than for anything else. I can't see the point of using them to cut strips or squares. And there is a terrible amount of waste with them. Perhaps someone who already owns a cutter would let you experiment at bit to see whether it would really suit your needs. froggyintexas
Old 08-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I use rotary cutter and mat
Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 PM

I done a lot of research on which die cutting machine to use, I ended up with the GO! Very little waste of material, perfect cuts every time, barely any stress on my wrists and I can make my own Jelly Rolls & Charm Packs to suit my pattern & colorway. Also if your die gets warped the will exchange is at no cost. This is one of the 1st things I purchased when starting to quilt. Even my now 13yr grand daughter has loved it for the 3 yrs I (we've) had it. I also love my June Taylor cutter too when I just have a few strips to cut, so all in all they are both great but for a lot of strips I'll take the GO every time.
Jeri