Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cutters >

Fabric cutters

Fabric cutters

Old 08-20-2014, 05:53 PM

I have the Accuquilt GO and like it. But it's not helpful for cutting everything you need. Right now I'm making 6 inch finished blocks (all different) with oddly sized pieces and I'm using my rotary cutter.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:11 PM

I have a Accucut Go with 3 dies. Everytime I go to buy a die, I think why did I ever talk my husband into buying the system as the dies are so expensive even when 25% off. I like my June Taylor strip cutter. If I decide to do another rag quilt, I may buy the die for it.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:21 PM

I have the GO and I love it. I do not find that cuts made with it waste fabric. Just like any other new tool, there is a short learning curve.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
I agree with dunster, as long as my hands and arms hold up I am staying with my rotary. I love playing with beautiful fabric and enjoy the cutting process.
I am the same way
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 PM

I have accuquilt baby wish I had gone for the larger version. I use it for curved pieces and am very selective about the very very very expensive dies. My friend has the 21/2" strip cutter must use it some time to decide if it is worth the money. I have weak wrists especially after breaks and operations on both so some times just don't have the strength to cut long stripes .
I would order a family Christmas present of the accuquilt plus dies you feel you need in a list of importance. Does santa come early?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 PM

I tried the Sizzix at a quilt show recently and wasn't impressed - it was a mini class to make a jewellery roll. Albeit it perhaps wasn't long enough to give it a really long test, but sufficient to know it wasn't for me.

One thing I swear by however, is the June Tailor Shape Cut. I had DH hand carry two of these back from Houston and they are the best thing ever! I make my own strip sets and charm packs in no time.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 AM

I've just borrowed a sizzix from a friend of my mum to see if I like it, in exchange for her borrowing my fiskars hexie punch. Unfortunately though, she uses it for card making so there aren't really any dies with it that would be off much use to me! She had one that I could use for applique and that's about it. She didn't even realise it could be used for fabric! I don't know whether to buy a die that I would use for it so I can give it a proper test or not, could be a waste of money!

Last edited by Sisty88; 08-21-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

did you try the Search function? We have had discussions on the various Accuquilts, the Brother Scan n Cut, and others.

I'm sticking with a rotary cutter and mat right now.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:22 AM

You can buy dies fairly cheaply on Amazon. I have the original Big Kick. I bought a couple of dies from Amazon and am quite pleased. I did buy it for card making, but got the Silhouette. The Silhouette doesn't emboss, so I kept the Big Kick.

I'd bought a table cover pattern that used 4" squares and HSTs. I used the Sizzix, and that cover matched seams on first shot better than a lot I've cut.

I tried those June Tailor things and don't like them. I prefer the Slidelock and a rotary cutter.

I just tried the Silhouette on a custom applique. Stabilized the fabric and it was almost a perfect cut. Would have been perfect had I bothered to change the blade. (few threads hanging off edges.)

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 08-21-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:50 AM

I have the GO and many dies......but I still use my rotary/mat too. It depends on what shape or how much I am cutting of a shape whether I do it manually or with die cutter........I do love the accuracy if the GO, and it has made cutting some shapes so much easier........so what's a little waste.......it's worth the speed and accuracy