Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: fabric or material?

Fabric is only one kind of material. There is also wood, brick, insulation. Those are all material (for building-- can you tell I am married to a former contractor?) There is also landscaping material, roofing material, get it? Material is what you use to do a job, but it's not always fabric. Fabric, however, always means fabric. I never ask for material, as it's too general a term. If I mean fabric, I say fabric.

My MIL asked my husband to pick up something from the dry goods section of a store and he didn't know what she was talking about. That goes back even farther than material/fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Fabric is only one kind of material. There is also wood, brick, insulation. Those are all material (for building-- can you tell I am married to a former contractor?) There is also landscaping material, roofing material, get it? Material is what you use to do a job, but it's not always fabric. Fabric, however, always means fabric. I never ask for material, as it's too general a term. If I mean fabric, I say fabric.
    ditto that big time.

Material sounds like a thing and fabric sounds like something that is rich and inviting that makes you want to make something out of it :)

I guess I call it fabric because I go to the Fabric Shop, not the Material Shop!!

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappy
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    ditto that big time.
    Very good explanation!!!

Blog Entries
    I used to say material but changed to fabric just because it's quicker & I always have alot to say about fabric......

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Oh, Lord, my ex used to say, " did you buy more cloth today/what cloth are you using in that quilt?" Like nails on a blackboard to me!!

FABRIC for Pete's sake.....never *could* get that through to him, poor guy. :lol:

Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    I do/did.
    I like that....me too.

Well, I will say I used to call it DRY GOODS DEPARTMENT. That was back in the days of T.G.&Y. and wooden floors in the store.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast