Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011 >

Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011

Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011

Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 PM

jetnica, I'm sorry for your slip, but thanks for making me laugh.
Originally Posted by jetnica
so i slipped a little today.

I'm making two of my students graduation quilts -- with fabric from each of the plays that they've been in during the four years they've been with me. I have everything organized and sorted (no surprise there), but they switched up the spring musical and i needed some dr. seuss fabric (they're doing seussical).

Fine. I ordered 1 yard from fatquartershop - which will be plenty for both quilts.

I'm thinking this doesn't count as a slip because specific fabric for two specific quilts that need to be done by May.

THEN, I went ahead and ordered Kona Khaki fabric to make my sweetwater charm pack quilt. It might be next in line (after the binding on the turtle quilt, the psiquilt postage stamp quilt-a-long, the two grad quilts) -- i probably could have waited on this one.

A half slip.

THEN (!!!) I found amazing black & white letters fabric. I bought a yard. No reason (other than a "someday" words/letters quilt for me)

A full on slip. :oops: :cry:

Dang. Back to square one. I'm going to go finish the binding on that turtle quilt so I feel a little bit better.
:lol:
Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 PM

Wow! If they don't like them, I'll take them both.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Missed the first post, but count me in. Presently working on UFO"S. Have all the material needed to finish all of them, & promised myself no new ones until theese are done. Glad I found this post as I will need lots of help keeping my promise.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:30 PM

Well, I ordered two FQ sets because they were 30% off. It was a good deal, loved the fabric, and I figure that if prices are going up for cotton that I'm only going to buy on good sales.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 AM

Jetnica :lol: :lol: :lol: thank you for this.

"Back to square one" though - no way!!! So we might slip once in a while, so hey. It doesn't nullify what we've done already. All the other purchases we've already allowed to float past each day without grabbing them. Every time we've said "thank you, but no," to all those whinging, bullying fabrics trying to call our names... That all still counts.

To me anyway.

And each time any of us does any of these things, or is gong, "Oops!! a slip..." AND CLIMBS BACK ON, we all grow stronger.

I do think so, anyway.

So, :thumbup: for climbing back on!
Old 01-23-2011, 03:02 AM

Made a small quilt this week. The Feng Shui system I have been studying calls for a "small square blue carpet" to put in my tiny bedroom this year... I thought I'd make that a quilt.

It's 23'' square and from stash, batting and all. In the washer right now, to get rid of the basting glue and spray.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 AM

What does Feng Shui say about quilts, SS? What about all the lines and cuts!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
What does Feng Shui say about quilts, SS? What about all the lines and cuts!!!
Not sure what other schools say (there are probably as many Feng Shui styles as teachers out there...). In the style I've been studying, a lot of people make their Feng Shui items as art objects, quilts or such. It's such fun to play with quiltmaking using the elements and the colors, shapes and numbers associated with them.

I made a quilt for my four year old DN last year, his lucky element is Earth so I made sure to put some sandy-beige Northcott Stongehenge fabric in...

Squares and earthy colors represent earth, waves and irregular lines and blues and black stand for water, triangles and "fiery" colors for fire; circles and silver, gold, white and grey are metal, long shapes and greens and browns are wood.

You could make a quilt, for instance, combining the lucky elements&colors of the two people who are going to be sleeping under it.

I think a log cabin would tend to be earth (square blocks) and wood (blocks made of long strips)... with the traditional red centre, you'd have a fire in the cabin centre, safely contained in its square of stone (earth). Isn't it amazing!

Can you tell I love this? I could go on and on... :oops: :D
Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 AM

I was doing really well. Nothing new purchased, working on UFOs. Then I had 2 UFOs that needing borders. And I legitimately didn't have border fabric to work on either (most of my fabric is very patterned and I needed plainer). Plus I had gift cards to my LQS from Xmas. Okay, no big deal, I will just go get borders. Which I was good and found my borders, and spent $2 for 3 yards of fabric + a box of pins. But it was enough of a fall off the wagon that I was online later and bought 8 yards (for 2 quilts, at least) of Batman and Superman fabric. So I'm back on the wagon... I'll give myself a B so far for January's moratorium, lol
Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 AM

Slipped up between Christmas and New years but bought fab on huge discount and using it now. Used my stash to make 3 table runners and a snowman w/h. Now working on tesselating tail cat quilt and using up more fab. Also trying to make patterns from books/mags I've bought. Why did I buy these books? Hmm....