Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric stash

I was buying yards (sometimes more!) but I've realized I like a scrappier look than a matchier look, so a 1/2 is plenty. Because if I have a 1/2 of yellow, I choose another 1/2 of yellow in a little bit different pattern, or little bit different tone to make it work.

If I love the fabric....three yards or more.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    If I like it buy a yard, if I love it buy 3 yards, and if I can't live without it, buy it all!! Thank god there's not too many I can't live with out!!!! :lol:

although if its on clearance or a super great buy- Ill buy the rest of the bolt regardless of like/love/or cant do with out..

I always buy 3 yards and if it is a fabric that I think is spectacular, I buy 5 yards so I can use it in more than one quilt. and...I usually still have more left over to make a scrappy quilt.

If i like it a lot, i will buy as much of it as i can afford. The ideas always come later on

My mother told me to always get 2 yards just in case - she felt that most of what you would want to make would take a hair over a yard so better to be safe than sorry.

3 yards

I used to only buy FQ and now I am trying to buy 1 1/4 yard for borders to go around those FQ or to make sashings. i also need way more creme/white for back ground then I have in the FQ. Never mind backing 6 yards a piece. so now I look for good deals and try to buy some larger pieces to use my FQ. Anna

Quote Originally Posted by lorniki
    When you see a fabric that you love --just don't know how you would use it -- how much do you buy? I'm new at this and at first I was just buying fat quarters but it is not enough for some of my needs.
    If it is multiple colors I can use as a border I buy 3 yards. the same for a baby/child fabric, 3 yards will give me borders and the focus fabric in the quilt with maybe FQ pulled from stash.

I would usually get 2-3yds. :roll:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast