Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fabric stash

Blog Entries
    I don't usually buy less than a yard, if I really love it I try and buy 3+ yds :D:D:D

I buy one to two yards, unless - like others have said, I actually visualize using it more than in a square.

Blog Entries
    When I'm looking at fabrics if I find several pieces that play well together I will buy 1-2 yards of each. If it's something I really like and it's only one fabric I'll buy 3-4 yards. It's no fun to find a quilt you want to make and some fabric in your stash only to find that you are just shy of what you need and it's no longer available. I'm trying to learn from those mistakes.

Blog Entries
    I just bought a yard of 2 different fabrics. Don't know what I'm going to do with them, but I couldn't LIVE without them 8->

I usually buy a metre of one that I think would be a focus fabric (more if it is on sale). Then I get half a metre and 20cm cuts of fabric to go with it but not always at the same time.

If it is part of a line of fabrics, I will pick out maybe 4 of the fabrics that will work will together and get form .5 to 3 yards depending on how I think I will use them in a quilt.

Jim
    I buy two yards of any fabric....unless I buy companion fabrics for the same quilt...such as I have a family of fabric that I only bought 1 yard of each color...hehehe but there's 17 colors...if its a great buy...I buy 5 yards or more my MIL will glady use any extra I have....can you tell from my postings that I have the best in-laws in the world?

Blog Entries
    Since i try to be rather economical, I usually buy 1/3 to 1/2 yard of anything that I would use to cut into pieces to complete a block. If I think I will use for sashing I will get about 2 yards. My theory is that I want the prints to use for the small cuts for a block and can buy larger amts for borders etc when I use it.

1 yard if it caught my attention. 3 yards if I really like it. 5 yards if I love it. But I have to admit, I'm often a buy the bolt shopper. Still, I think it's cheaper than the therapy I'd need to be able to quit!!!

Power Poster
    A yard is always good. Unless it is really unique and you can invision using it in more than one project, then I would buy 2 yards.

I would say that if the price is right for me, I'd buy 2 or more yds. or metres as is here in India and just wait for me to use in any quilt. It saves on transport charges too. :lol:

Oh no! I bought 2 yards of a beautiful blue and green paisley that I have no idea how I am going to use it.
    I caught myself caressing it a minute ago. ;-)

Usually one yard if it's something I can think I will use it in. You should see my sewing studio, I have more fabric than a LQS. Two years ago there was a fabric shop that was going out of business and they had full bolts of fabirc listed almost 2000 of them and some of them were going for 10.00 for the bolt, 100 cotton, good quality. Well I ended up buying over 172 of the bolts and my son built shelving in the studio for them. That doesn't include my FQ's or apperal fabric............I'm not bragging, but you can get out of control, so now I am watching it unless it is a great discount or sale.
    YIKES
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by lorniki
    When you see a fabric that you love --just don't know how you would use it -- how much do you buy? I'm new at this and at first I was just buying fat quarters but it is not enough for some of my needs.
    If the fabric is some thing I think that I really want, I will buy up to 3 metres(3 yards) in case I decided to use it for borders. I like to have that much so there are no seams to worry about. The price of that fabric also helps me with the decision. Being on a pension I know exactly how much I can afford to spend.

I normally don't get more than a yard, occasionally a yard and a half. I try to buy as many different fabrics as I can with what money I spend.

My minimum is always 2 yards and I go up from there. I have such a collection of fabrics that I've had for years and have found that when I didn't purchase at least 2 yards I would never have enough. I do buy collections that I love then whatever else suits my fancy (TOT, batiks, seasonal etc.) My feelings are if I have excess for a particular quilt it will then go to my stash for whatever might strike my imagination later on and I have never been disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by oma66
    I always buy 3 yards and if it is a fabric that I think is spectacular, I buy 5 yards so I can use it in more than one quilt. and...I usually still have more left over to make a scrappy quilt.
    This is pretty much my measurements as well. Most of my quilts are twin size - so this works out pretty well.

I buy a yard, at least.

depends on the price. 1-3 or maybe 5!

Quote Originally Posted by lorniki
    When you see a fabric that you love --just don't know how you would use it -- how much do you buy? I'm new at this and at first I was just buying fat quarters but it is not enough for some of my needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2