Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Storage Opinions

My Dh is redoing a closet in a spare bedroom for me to store all my sewing things. My question is: I can design it any way i choose but am unsure what kind of shelving to put in. Would you use the white wire shelves or wood? Or maybe both? I need to keep the cost at a minimum but i want to do it right the first time. Any advise would be appreciated greatly!!

No. 1 thing that comes to mind for me is keep it flexible. I would definitely start with adjustable shelves. Whether they're wood or wire. Adjustable is a must have for me.

No. 1 thing that comes to mind for me is keep it flexible. I would definitely start with adjustable shelves. Whether they're wood or wire. Adjustable is a must have for me.

Blog Entries
    I personally don't care for the wire shelves. My husband insisted on them for the laundry room & garage. Guess what? Things fall thru them, things don't set squarely unless you set them on the wires just right. It is a constant balancing act. I can't wait until mine wear out & I can replace them with wood shelves.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    I personally don't care for the wire shelves. My husband insisted on them for the laundry room & garage. Guess what? Things fall thru them, things don't set squarely unless you set them on the wires just right. It is a constant balancing act. I can't wait until mine wear out & I can replace them with wood shelves.
    I concur! I would not use the wire shelves. Definitely wood. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Hmm, for fabric yardage, I like the wire shelves. We did all the closets in the condo in '92 when we moved in and long before I became a quilter. We even use an Elfa stack next to the washer dryer unit as our "linen closet" because the washer/dryer takes up almost all of the space that used to be the linen closet. For drawers, they make liners to keep stuff from falling thru, but I haven't had that problem in the closet shelves, but again I store stuff on those shelves that isn't going to fall thru!

ditto, no wire.

Adjustable shelving definitely.
    Once you figure out how you want to fold/wrap your fabrics you can adjust the shelving accordingly to maximize space.
    Wire shelving isn't so bad if you are using containers, or have some sort of acid-free shelf lining.

bj
    One thing to think about also...I've heard that some wooden shelving can stain fabric. You might have to line them with something before you put your fabric on them.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast