Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric storage >

Fabric storage

Fabric storage

Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 AM

use an ice pick and punch a few tiny holes just under the rim to allow the box to "breathe". I have done this for 30 years and no problems.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I've seen rotted cotton fabric in a plastic tote twice. And I ruined the quilt my grandmother gave me when I was eight, by putting it in a plastic garbage bag and storing it in a storage unit for about a year. These were both in California. I wonder if heat and moisture play a part in it.
I think the composition of plastic garage bags and hard plastic containers make the difference, as well as heat and moisture.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Large cotton draw string bags are the best for long term storage for fabric and quilts. I don't care enough about long term storage for fabric to worry about it. I do have my granddaughter's fabric collections I buy for her in an archival storage box. One day she may cherish the collections or sell at a premium. Her choice. LOL
Old 12-23-2015, 12:03 PM

I agree with Prism99. I do separate project "kits" in bags that comforters are sold in, but never zipped up.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Prism99 said it all.
I have some fabric in totes and had for years. Never a problem.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

I store fabrics and quilts in totes with no problems and have for years. Most fabric now is on wire shelves inside closets.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

great ideas here!
Old 12-25-2015, 05:12 AM

If you live in an extremely wet, high humidity environment, it isn't a good idea to store fabric in plastic. If pressing with wet steam before storing, I would let it dry completely first, before placing it in the plastic tote.

But barring those exceptions, it's certainly preferable to store in plastic in a controlled climate, than placing in cardboard boxes. Anyone who's ever placed items in storage in cardboard boxes for a time, knows what happens to cardboard over time. Not a good idea to let that come in contact with fabric
Old 12-25-2015, 06:11 AM

I store most all fabric pieces (less than 1 yard) in stacked plastic bins and have for many years. Never had a problem. They are opened frequently enough as I assemble fabrics for new projects to 'air' them. They are in my sewing room and not subject to much variation in temperature or moisture.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:42 AM

The plastic in the drawer units is not tight. I had a lot of that storage and found some carpet beetles (they eat organic stuff- major infestation all over town one year) in drawers with drawing supplies. Ink is NOT organic and neither are lettering pens! If they can get in, so can air..

The separate bins and Artbin cases are tight. We live in a dry area, so no problem.

If damp is a problem, you can use cheap fine cat litter in a sock. When it gets wet, put it in the oven, dry it out and reuse it.

Dry air, static electricity and cat hair are a major problem. I can't run a small humidifier since the house is open plan.
I prefer dry air when sleeping.