Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Faux chenille blanket made with flannel >

Faux chenille blanket made with flannel

Faux chenille blanket made with flannel

Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have made a faux chenille throw and I did not prewash the fabric. Part of the process is to cut between the layers and then wash and dry the heck out of it. Not sure how well it would ravel if the fabric is prewashed.

I made mine with 5 layers. Backing fabric side down and the other 4 piled on top fabric side up. I can't remember how far apart I sewed the strips but I only cut through the top 3 layers. Turned out wonderful.

Important: Make sure to sew on the bias at a 45degree. Someone made one on the QB a little while ago and didn't sew on the bias. The fabric did NOT ravel once cut.

M---Q, did you sew up & down your rows? I didn't know better when I did mine & the quilt turned out cattywampus.

For the other person who started this topic, there are blunt end scissors out there just for cutting chenille.

I went upstairs to try to measure my strips & they look like 1 1/2" but can't be sure now that they've been washed & shrunk. I also didn't use enough contrasting fabrics so mine looks all the same color.

If I didn't have to sleep at night, I could get so much more done. LOL
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 PM

So I started making one of these tonight because of this thread! They look so fun and pretty. Just a tip I wanted to tell ya though. I decided to go for the gusto and use 5 layers of flannel. I also bought one of those slash cutters that was mentioned on a different thread. Oh man that thing is totally worth the 15.74 I paid at my LQS. It went through the flannel like butter. Very very quick and easy. Extremely impressed. And I read that you might have to start cutting with scissors. No such need. Sliced thru everything quite nicely. I would say a definite must if you haven't bought one yet. I also read to make the bottom layer a bit bigger on all sides. That helped a lot too. If you haven't started yours yet good luck. If you have I bet it turns out wonderful.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM

Oh and from what I read I decided not to prewash. I saw a lot of do's and then a lot of do not's. From what I read you want it all to shrink and fluff and fray together. Not sure if this is the correct answer but that's what I decided to try this time lol
Old 07-15-2010, 05:40 AM

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I have never really worked with flannel and my concern about the prewashing is that two of the five pieces I plan to use are dark - red and royal blue, and I am afraid they will bleed when I do wash the blanket. I usually do not prewash my cottons for my other quilting.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Here is the flannel blanket I finally finished. Don't know that I will be making one any time soon. I think I could have finished a queen size top with the time it took me to sew all those diagonals.

strips cut but before washing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98062[/ATTACH]

after washing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98063[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-98057.jpe   attachment-98058.jpe  
Old 08-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Here is the flannel blanket I finally finished. Don't know that I will be making one any time soon. I think I could have finished a queen size top with the time it took me to sew all those diagonals.
I found that to be boring to me after awhile, too. Did you sew up one row & down the other? I'm itching to make another one but I have too many things I need to do. Like painting the spare rm. I just got most of it primed then had to come ck. on here. We're all pathetic. LOL Just can't hit the sewing mach. til my work is done.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
I found that to be boring to me after awhile, too. Did you sew up one row & down the other? I'm itching to make another one but I have too many things I need to do. Like painting the spare rm. I just got most of it primed then had to come ck. on here. We're all pathetic. LOL Just can't hit the sewing mach. til my work is done.
I admire your resolve - I usually find excuses to put off work around the house and get some sewing done. I did sew alternating directions. It got old after about getting half done. I do like the results and it will make a warm snuggly blankie for my granddaughter that will arrive in October. She will live in Maryland so she will put it to good use, unlike here in Texas.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
I admire your resolve - I usually find excuses to put off work around the house and get some sewing done. I did sew alternating directions. It got old after about getting half done. I do like the results and it will make a warm snuggly blankie for my granddaughter that will arrive in October. She will live in Maryland so she will put it to good use, unlike here in Texas.
Looks like my resolve isn't as good as I thought. I went upstairs to finish priming the spare rm. then since it was pretty hot in that rm. I gave up & went to my sewing mach. I'm learning to free motion & I'm really excited about it. I'm using Leah Day's Machingers gloves & they work like a charm. Now I'm free motion stitching everything I can get my hands on. The runner today is dated 2003. I found that once I got my rhythm between my speed & my hands it's really fun. If I go too long though, I start messing up & just have to stop.
I got the courage to get at it after listening to all of you. I have to give credit to Leah Day though. Her videos are wonderful.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have made a faux chenille throw and I did not prewash the fabric. Part of the process is to cut between the layers and then wash and dry the heck out of it. Not sure how well it would ravel if the fabric is prewashed.

I made mine with 5 layers. Backing fabric side down and the other 4 piled on top fabric side up. I can't remember how far apart I sewed the strips but I only cut through the top 3 layers. Turned out wonderful.

Same here, DON"t WASH THE FABRIC first. It is softer and more chenille like if you don't wash first. You may need to wash and dry a few times after it is cut to get the maximum fray. The class I took for this emphasized not washing first.

Important: Make sure to sew on the bias at a 45degree. Someone made one on the QB a little while ago and didn't sew on the bias. The fabric did NOT ravel once cut.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 AM

If you ever want a cheap alternative to the gloves, get yourself some cheap gardening gloves, the ones with the little rubber dots on them - they work great at gripping the fabric so it doesn't slip.