Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite sewing machine for quilters

Blog Entries
    I love love my Janome 6600P and I also have the 350E embroidery machine by Janome...Love love them both and sooooooo user friendly....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaco
    Love my Pfaffs.
    Me Too! Love the wide throat and wouldn't be without the IDT.

Be sure to read about the Singer, Pfaff, Viking merger/buy out while you're considering a purchase. Google SVP buy out.

I have the new Bernina 830 and think it's a perfect quilting machine. But, I also have a Janome 9000 which I love and several other vintage machines. There's a new Janome machine being released, so stay tuned... Have you checked out the Janome Horizon?

Banned
    For quilting I would suggest looking at the newer ones that have larger throat area - Janome Horizon, Elna now has it as well as others. You need the space. So go to that feature first and then check the other features you may want to determine if they work well for you. For quilting, I am not impressed with a machine having 250 decorative stitches but they all have them. Space and good straight stitch quality is paramont to good quilting.

Are you talking about just the quilting? Because then a longarm or sit down midarm might be for you. While the 240 might be great for piecing and binding, it only has a 6" or so harp, I can't imagine quilting anything bigger than crib sized on that! The 820 has the biggest harp (12") on a domestic machine, so anything else is going to be much smaller. I have a 440 which is superb for piecing and quilting, and I know of a few award-winning quilters who use it for everything including quilting queen-sized quilts, but I wouldn't like to quilt a large quilt in its 7.5" harp. My Baby Lock Quest Plus is also excellent, but I never use it for FMQ because I use the BSR. I'm just getting acquainted with my 820, but I can't imagine any currently available domestic sewing machine (except the 830!) being better for quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtinkle
    I have a Bernina 830 and a 630, and I love them both, but use neither for quilting. I adore my Juki TL2010Q for piecing, and I quilt on a longarm.
    Hmmm, do you mind me asking...what do you use the 830 and 630 for, they would be some of my "dream machines", but it sounds like you use the others for what I would want the Berninas for. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I currently have a Babylock - and I do love it but for bang for your buck and reliability - Janome wins hands down!

I love my Janome Horizon; it replaced my Janome 6600 which I kept as a backup. They're both wonderful machines!

I have a Babylock Ellisimo and I really love it. Check it out.

Blog Entries
    This may be to easy. I like any machine that sews a straight line! I'm a simplicity purist and as long as I can get the seam sewn, I'm happy. I need no bells and whistles to confuse me! I am always amazed at the beautiful emb. and stitching that some people can do.
    peace :D

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast