Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite sewing machine for quilters

I have the Janome Horizon and I love it! I bought it for the 11 inches of workspace and basically use it just for FMQ. I have a Janome 4623 LE Plus that I use for all my quilt top piceing and any other sewing I do.

Quote Originally Posted by btiny36
    I love love my Janome 6600P and I also have the 350E embroidery machine by Janome...Love love them both and sooooooo user friendly....
    Ditto, here also. I love Janome, have switched completely over to Janome. Am currently looking at the new Janome 6300, has a lot of bang for the buck. Having a 6600P, why move up to the Horizon 7700 for two more inches. I love the thread cutter, has a great blanket stitch. Very user friendly. I even have a serger that works great, too. My 350e, is a nice plus, I make my own labels and those for friends, too.

I have a Berning 1230...have had it for 20 years...still love sewing on it...a few years ago I got a Brother machine for quilting...has a larger area for quilt...and it sews very fast...I use it for piecing sometimes, but still prefer my Bernina for that.

Banned
    The 830 is my everyday machine, I do all my creative sewing on it, general sewing, garment sewing, and lots of machine embroidery. This machine is like gourmet chocolate!

The 630 I use for sewing groups, as a backup machine, small embroidery projects, and often just for the sheer joy of sewing on it. Of all the machines I currently own and have ever owned, this one is the most reliable, rock solid machine. I will NEVER part with it. I used to do all my piecing on it, but when I went into business, bought the Juki... I don't want to wear my 630 out with all the non stop quilts I make.

Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    Hmmm, do you mind me asking...what do you use the 830 and 630 for, they would be some of my "dream machines", but it sounds like you use the others for what I would want the Berninas for. Thanks.

Have two Janome's - bought the second one - 6600 because it had the needle down function. It is a workhorse and very user friendly. Last year purchased Pfaff Grand QUilter with frame in order to save time quilting my quilts.

Well, I guess that I am not in this league of machine owners....

I have a Kenmore and I just love it. Have been using them for years. I bought this last one almost 3 years ago and have had no bad experiences with it...I take it once a year to get an "overhaul" and she purrs like a kitten.

Don't even need the walking foot for quilting, she just slides right along........

So, I will keep my Kenmore.....she and I make a good couple. MJ

Have a quilters choice by baby lock. I enjoy using this machine, love the scissors and adore the automatic threader. Wish it had a bit larger area to move around larger quilts, other than that the machine is great. That and the dealer is closeby, that counts for a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by kingspb
    I have the Janome Horizon and I love it! I bought it for the 11 inches of workspace and basically use it just for FMQ. I have a Janome 4623 LE Plus that I use for all my quilt top piceing and any other sewing I do.
    kingspb, Why do you only use the Horizon to FMQ? I just bought one and I am curious.

I just bought a Brother "Laura Ashley" quilting machine. I had an old Singer that was 35 years old. (My first Christmas present from my First Son. So you know why I never upgraded.) I wanted a good maching and the websites gave this one a good rating and the sewing shop lady really liked this over the other brands in the shop. (they had the Singers and Janome, Babyloc and Brothers.) So far, I have only pieced with it and learning all the details but it is a far cry from my old Singer. (the Old Singer will still be around.) Anna

This reminds me of the times my husband and sons (4) got into discussions about what the newest and best cars were.

I have the Bernina 440 with BSR. It's a good sturdy, dependable machine, but quilting on a large quilt is too hard to do given the size of the harp. I had a Janome before the 440 and hated it. I had multiple problems with it.

Blog Entries
    I have a Pfaff Quilters Expression 4.0 and love it. It has the wide throat, IDT, and for the most part has caused no problems piecing and quilting. i only quilt smaller things myself, otherwise have a longarm do them for me.

I simply love my Bernina 440QE. She is my main machine. I use the BSR for quilt as you go. I use a long arm for other quilting. But for everything else, I use Bernie. I also have several other machines that are in waiting in case Bernie becomes ill, but I think they have given up.

I love my Janome 1600QP for quilting and piecing. I also have a feather weight machine. It is a true workhorse and has a really good stitch. Everyone moves the fabric through the machine a little different, the trick is to find one that suits your style. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurieE
    No sewing machine is made in its home country any more. Viking and Bernina are made in Thailand with one Bernina model made in China. Singer is made in Brazil and China, Janome is made in both Thailand and Taiwan. Not sure about Pfaff. Chances are it's also in Thailand.

In regards to the SVP merger. That happened back in the beginning of 2010 and that's when Singer, Viking & Pfaff became 1 company. As far as I'm concerned, that's no different than K-Mart buying Sears and each keeping their brand names.
    This is true. For years used a FW and loved it....just did simple straight-line sewing and it suited me. A couple of years ago came into a little money and decided to upgrade. I researched, talked to others about their machines, etc., etc., etc. and decided I would go with Baby Locke. The only problem was the dealers were all between 50 and 75 miles (one way) away. Spoke several times with one of them and the machine I was interested in came on sale and I purchased it...a Babylock Quilters Choice....Got a basic manual with it but had to purchase the "good" manual for something like $35.00 extra and when I first found out it was even available "my" dealer wouldn't order it for me and I had to find someone else who would. That's when I found out a few things like....2 people can purchase the same machine from a dealer and one might have been made in one country and the other in another making it impossible to send it back to where it actually came from.... customer service is poor...the company takes no responsiblity, that's why when you purchase from a dealer you're expected to go to them for all your problems. When I said I wanted to change dealers was told I couldn't. Was told I could buy another machine from another dealer and they would take care of all my needs OR I could trade in the current Baby Lock and the new dealer could then sell me another one and THEN they could take care of my needs but the first one I bought would forever have to be dealt with through through the dealer I purchased it from. Needless to say if I have a problem (which I haven't) I have to drive roughly 150 miles round trip and again if I have to leave it.

I like my Bernina 1031 for quilting,piecing and garment sewing;it
    is 20 years old next year and still sews as good as the day I bought it.
    For classes and quilt bee, I like my Singer 301 or 221 FW.
    If I'm piecing triangles, Singer 15-90k treadle is my favorite; since its straight stitch only it doesn't eat my triangles when I'm starting a seam. I can quilt with the 15-90k too, its got a 7 1/2" harp.

I bought a Viking Sapphire 870 mainly because of the long bed workspace. It's a great machine, but very quirky. The thread jams in it a lot if it's not cleaned out regularly. I also don't care for the fact that I can't service it myself like I used to do for my old Kenmore.

I have own a Viking, Baby Lock and now a Janome......but I love my Janome the best for piecing my quilts. I also own a Juki for quilting the top and highly recommend that as well.

I've had a Janome 7700 Horizon for a year now and I love it! Has an 11" harp so it's easy to maneuver your quilt for quilting. Has lots of bells and whistles and does everything. Not an embroidery machine - but that's not what I wanted anyway. I've always been a Bernina girl but I fell in love with this one.

I love my Pfaff 2056. Love the IDT (built in walking foot). The only thing it lacks is the thread cutter. Otherwise it is perfect for anything I have wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurieE
    No sewing machine is made in its home country any more. Viking and Bernina are made in Thailand with one Bernina model made in China. Singer is made in Brazil and China, Janome is made in both Thailand and Taiwan. Not sure about Pfaff. Chances are it's also in Thailand.

In regards to the SVP merger. That happened back in the beginning of 2010 and that's when Singer, Viking & Pfaff became 1 company. As far as I'm concerned, that's no different than K-Mart buying Sears and each keeping their brand names.
    I can see while the machine is under warranty, but after that, I think I would find a reliable machine shop to go to have your machine serviced. I can't believe that a dealer cannot be allowed to service one's machine if the customer wants him to do so.

What happens if one moves to a new location...must they now buy a new machine?????

go figure !!!!!!!!!!
    This is true. For years used a FW and loved it....just did simple straight-line sewing and it suited me. A couple of years ago came into a little money and decided to upgrade. I researched, talked to others about their machines, etc., etc., etc. and decided I would go with Baby Locke. The only problem was the dealers were all between 50 and 75 miles (one way) away. Spoke several times with one of them and the machine I was interested in came on sale and I purchased it...a Babylock Quilters Choice....Got a basic manual with it but had to purchase the "good" manual for something like $35.00 extra and when I first found out it was even available "my" dealer wouldn't order it for me and I had to find someone else who would. That's when I found out a few things like....2 people can purchase the same machine from a dealer and one might have been made in one country and the other in another making it impossible to send it back to where it actually came from.... customer service is poor...the company takes no responsiblity, that's why when you purchase from a dealer you're expected to go to them for all your problems. When I said I wanted to change dealers was told I couldn't. Was told I could buy another machine from another dealer and they would take care of all my needs OR I could trade in the current Baby Lock and the new dealer could then sell me another one and THEN they could take care of my needs but the first one I bought would forever have to be dealt with through through the dealer I purchased it from. Needless to say if I have a problem (which I haven't) I have to drive roughly 150 miles round trip and again if I have to leave it.

THIS WAS MY REPLY TO THE ABOVE POST...GOT LOST WITHIN THE OTHER POST!

I can see while the machine is under warranty, but after that, I think I would find a reliable machine shop to go to have your machine serviced. I can't believe that a dealer cannot be allowed to service one's machine if the customer wants him to do so.

What happens if one moves to a new location...must they now buy a new machine?????

Quote Originally Posted by danlynmartin
    I have a Pfaff Quilters Expression 4.0 and love it. It has the wide throat, IDT, and for the most part has caused no problems piecing and quilting. i only quilt smaller things myself, otherwise have a longarm do them for me.
    I also have the Pfaff QE 4.0 and Love it. Wide throat, IDT, two lights, low bobbin sensor, threader, speedy, tons of fancy stitches, and perfect for piecing using the needle down position. When you stop sewing, the foot comes up just a bit so you can place your next piece there and keep on sewing. Love it!!!

Blog Entries
    I was fortunate enough to get a Janome Horizen last month - and just LOVE it - especially the 11" throat plate - SO MUCH ROOM !! makes my FMQ attempts a bit easier - and she jus hummms !

Quote Originally Posted by pjaco
    Love my Pfaffs.
    Ditto

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast