Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time using Press & Seal wrap to draw on quilting designs--suggestions? >

First time using Press & Seal wrap to draw on quilting designs--suggestions?

First time using Press & Seal wrap to draw on quilting designs--suggestions?

Old 12-26-2016, 07:32 PM

Default First time using Press & Seal wrap to draw on quilting designs--suggestions?

I have a quilt on the frame that I want to do "ghost" quilting of the embroidery flowers and think that I can do that best by drawing the design on Press & Seal and stitching though it for this detail work. But I've never done that before and would appreciate any suggestions from those of you that have used Press & Seal to mark your quilting design before. This will be done on my long arm with a SoFine #50 thread.

Thanks!

P.S. the embroidery work is on a very light tan muslin, with an iron on backing on it. the embroidery has been highlighted with Inktense pencils.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

I would mark the minimum amount of the motif you feel comfortable with, quilt that, remove the wrap and then go back and add the details. Press and seal will come off, but it's really difficult to remove if trapped in tiny areas.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:31 AM
Gay

I tried this, using a fine felt pen to draw the design on the Press & Seal. After sewing I found it wasn't easy to get some of the product off and still ended up with black marks on most of the fabric. Am not sure if it was the Press& Seal left behind or the white thread picked up the ink. I doubt if I will do that again (not with felt pen) as it was more difficult to remove than paper, at least paper will soften and wash out.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:41 AM

May I suggest you use wash away stabilizer instead? I've used both & the stabilizer removes much better. You just quilt the bigger parts, remove the stabilizer, finish the details & spritz with water any remaining stabilizer. Works great for me.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I tried this, using a fine felt pen to draw the design on the Press & Seal. After sewing I found it wasn't easy to get some of the product off and still ended up with black marks on most of the fabric. Am not sure if it was the Press& Seal left behind or the white thread picked up the ink. I doubt if I will do that again (not with felt pen) as it was more difficult to remove than paper, at least paper will soften and wash out.
I used black marker, too. the needle poked the black through the plastic onto the fabric. some of it didn't come out. thank goodness it was not an important piece.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:43 AM

I like to use parchment paper for things like this. It is stronger than tissue paper yet sews through easily, can see through to trace a design and tears off easily once it is stitched through. It's the kind you use for baking. Inexpensive as well. I just pin it on in sections.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I use Press and Seal for an outline and don't sew through it.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I would not use the press and seal. It is a real pain to remove the tiny pieces left behind from the stitching and notorious for allowing your marking tool to transfer to the thread even permanent ink that has already dried. If you don't feel comfortable marking the quilt with a water soluble pen made specifically for this purpose (like mark-b-gone) then do what Cindy60545 suggested and use a water soluble stabilizer and make sure you also mark that with a water soluble pen. Gina Perkes recommends using the water soluble stabilizer in one of her books as well. The stabilizer will not stick to the surface so you will have to pin it in place.

Another option is to cut the shape out of freezer paper and iron it on to the quilt top and quilt around it. Remove the freezer paper and go back in to quilt detail.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:07 AM

I used it once and it was hard to remove. I draw designs on tracing paper and then position the design on my back panto table to line up with where I want it and stitch using my laser light (just like a panto).
Old 12-27-2016, 07:41 AM

I used press and seal once. Never again! It was the devil to get off. I think you would be happier using a light weight paper pinned on. Good luck.