Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time using Press & Seal wrap to draw on quilting designs--suggestions? >

First time using Press & Seal wrap to draw on quilting designs--suggestions?

First time using Press & Seal wrap to draw on quilting designs--suggestions?

Old 12-27-2016, 07:44 AM

I have used Press and Seal, and would use it again. I've never had any problem with the markings coming off on the fabric, but it can be difficult to remove, but I just take my time, use my tweezers to get out the tiny stuff.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:30 AM

There are better products. I used it once on my domestic machine and never again.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I tried it and will never use it again. What a mess. Try Golden Thread quilting paper. Works real well .
Old 12-27-2016, 01:50 PM

oh why, oh why didn't I look at this thread first thing this morning??? Patience, know my name, please! yup--I was in such a hurry to get back onto the long arm after 4 days of company, that I started working and went ahead and used an Ultra Clean Crayola marker (green) on the press & seal and quilted away! Grrr.. so mad at myself right now cause if I'd taken the time to check the thread I started I would not have done that! Besides little pieces of the stuff all over, the green came off on the thread (SoFine) and I have little green pokies--so pick it out and will get the marker out before I do FMQ--if I can free hand draw on the Press & Seal then I can do same with machine!
Old 12-27-2016, 06:55 PM

I have used Press and Seal and use a frixion pen to mark or an Ultra Clean Crayola Marker that will wash out of the thread. To remove paper or Press and Seal, try the eraser end of the Frixion pen to pull out the little pieces. It grabs them and really helps to remove those pesky little pieces.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
oh why, oh why didn't I look at this thread first thing this morning??? Patience, know my name, please! yup--I was in such a hurry to get back onto the long arm after 4 days of company, that I started working and went ahead and used an Ultra Clean Crayola marker (green) on the press & seal and quilted away! Grrr.. so mad at myself right now cause if I'd taken the time to check the thread I started I would not have done that! Besides little pieces of the stuff all over, the green came off on the thread (SoFine) and I have little green pokies--so pick it out and will get the marker out before I do FMQ--if I can free hand draw on the Press & Seal then I can do same with machine!
ugh! Sorry you made extra work for yourself! Your last sentence above is your solution! Lesson learned! We have all had a time like that..
Old 12-28-2016, 07:35 AM

The wash away stabelzer works great, I have used it for hand quilting for years. I use the fine tip crayola markers to draw my design on the stabelzer and have never Harvard problem. Used pencil once but the graphite went through onto the quilt when stitching, luckily I caught the before much had was the. I have also used the blue wash away pen.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:04 AM

They have wash away stabilizer???
I have to get out more!!!!
I did try press and seal years ago and went back to tracing paper or golden threads. I have frixion pens but haven't tried them yet.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:25 PM

Just wanted to follow-up--took a longggg time, but got all the green tinged stitches out and then very carefully (didn't want to mess up the embroidery work or the Inktense dye work) soaked out the green Crayola Ultra Clean Marker (at first it smeared cause I was rubbing it, so really just soaked it--no rubbing!) and will work on the blocks tomorrow--today was lunch with quilt buddies and guild work. Here's some pictures of the whole fiasco![ATTACH=CONFIG]564511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]564512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]564513[/ATTACH](the shadowing in the last picture is just wet--once dried it was the color it was originally--whew!)
Attached Thumbnails p1040619.jpg   p1040620.jpg   p1040621.jpg  
Old 12-29-2016, 05:48 AM

Absolutely beautiful embroidery blocks. So happy you figured out how to do your shadowing. I am still struggling with FMQ on my domestic. I finally found that if I use (children's) news print pads and print my pattern on the paper as lightly as possible, that I am good to go. I only do simple FMQ nothing intricate as I am still "a beginner" in that area. I am also grateful for all of the replies.