Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Fixing my binding...

  1. #1
    Senior Member miholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    335
    Okay, so on my latest quilt I decided to try doing my binding with 2 1/2 inch strips, and leaving 1/4 of batting around my quilt to help "fill the binding". Then applying the binding. (Hope that helps create the visual)

    I apply my dining by sewing it to the back and then top stitching the front. (I know...I'm LAZY! But I don't have any love for handwork. :) )

    So it was all swell, and then I washed it and there was just a TAD more shrinkage then I would have liked so there are a few spots where I need to take out the top stitching and pull the binding over more.

    I just wondered if anyone had this happen, and if basically removing some top stitches pulling the binding over and re-top stitching is the best thing to do. Let me know your thoughts. :)

  2. #2
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,575
    Nope since I always prewash my fabric so this sort of thing doesn't happen ;>

  3. #3
    Senior Member GrammaO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    596
    Blog Entries
    3
    I sew my binding on the same way. I love to hand stitch it, but usually I just don't have the time. So far I haven't had this problem, or if I did I just didn't really notice it. I don't care for a really tight look or feel; I like the quilts to be a little more fluffy and soft, so maybe that's why I never noticed. Prewashing would probably make a difference, but I'm one of those (gasp) that doesn't prewash my fabric.

  4. #4
    Senior Member miholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    335
    Yeah I know, but I like the antiqued looking finished of NOT prewashing. :) Course looks like NEXT time I will stick to just cutting to the quilt and not leaving the xtra 1/4 of batting. :) Hadn't had an issue til I didn that.

  5. #5
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,964
    I don't prewash either. I sew mine to the front and hand stitch on the back.

  6. #6
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,575
    Quote Originally Posted by miholmes
    Yeah I know, but I like the antiqued looking finished of NOT prewashing. :) Course looks like NEXT time I will stick to just cutting to the quilt and not leaving the xtra 1/4 of batting. :) Hadn't had an issue til I didn that.

    I get the antiqued look by simply using warm and natural as my batting.

  7. #7
    Senior Member miholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by miholmes
    Yeah I know, but I like the antiqued looking finished of NOT prewashing. :) Course looks like NEXT time I will stick to just cutting to the quilt and not leaving the xtra 1/4 of batting. :) Hadn't had an issue til I didn that.

    I get the antiqued look by simply using warm and natural as my batting.
    Okay call me dumb.....but I never thought of this before....your fabric is prewashed and NOT the batting....lol so I will still get the nice look when I prewash my fabrics? Good to know....probably won't start doing that :) But I never really thougt of it that way before. :)

  8. #8
    Senior Member Boopers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    611
    Blog Entries
    4
    Sew your binding n with a wider than 1/4 inch seam. I usually use a 3/8 inch seam. Then when you flip your binding to the front it will cover the edge of your top.

  9. #9
    Super Member mollymct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    2,349
    I don't know about the binding, since I have only added binding to one quilt! But, my other little quilted items still have a nice "antiqued"/crinkly look even using prewashed fabrics--(well after the item has been washed/dried on completion). (Using cotton batting, Warm and Natural). So, maybe try a little piece with prewashed fabrics and see if there is much of a difference? I know I would have to hate to redo something once I was supposed to be done!

  10. #10
    Senior Member miholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymct
    I don't know about the binding, since I have only added binding to one quilt! But, my other little quilted items still have a nice "antiqued"/crinkly look even using prewashed fabrics--(well after the item has been washed/dried on completion). (Using cotton batting, Warm and Natural). So, maybe try a little piece with prewashed fabrics and see if there is much of a difference? I know I would have to hate to redo something once I was supposed to be done!
    EXACTLY! :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.