Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Machine >

FMQ Machine

FMQ Machine

Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 PM

So what is the very best Machine to Free Motion Quilt with....and still have decorative stitch's.....Knee lift
start stop etc....thanks Rita
Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Go shop the Janome machines.... great bang for the buck...
Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 PM

juki f600 - love, love, love it
Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 PM

I have a Husqvarna SE which has built in FM stitches...most of the new Husqvarna's do...
Old 04-19-2011, 03:08 PM

having only three machines at my disposal - only one fits all of the above. Janome 6600. Also has accufeed (integrated walking foot) which I love for long strip piecing as well as straight line quilting. Can program in one touch whether you want needle up or down stop, lots of decorative stitches plus letters and numbers - all programable so you can automatically spell names then just "go". Thread cutter (which I rarely use), needle threader (which I don't use at all). Speed control for FMQ - but does not have stitch regulator. Handles FMQ quite well and has a decent size harp (throat area) of 9".

it can be a bit fussy though with regard to what kind of thread you feed it. At least that's what I've found. it does not like cheap thread, and it prefers the same weight in the top and the bobbin. I confess it could be me though as I've probably not figited with it enough. I also don't like the "tightness" of the machine parts with regard to fitting a screw driver to change the face plate and even the needle. I have very small hands too. Changing the needle is fussy (to me) because the needle holder likes to wobble once the needle is out and trying to hold it straight and replace needle with right hand while placing screw and turning driver with left hand - well - it takes patience.

My other machine - a Husky Lily 535 I actually prefer for piecing. Straighter more even stitches. I like the FMQ of it as well. It has start/stop, needle up/down stop selection, but does not have knee lift. has a fair amount of decorative stitches. it's also not a bit fussy about the thread that I feed it.

Your best option ... go to a large quilt show like Paducah where most if not all of the vendors have machines there to play with. Try them ALL out and see what you like the best. Have a list of "must haves" to narrow your search down. Other than that, visit as many LQS's as you have to to try out all the top manufacturers, most LQS have at least two manufacturers that they deal with.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:19 PM

You should check them all out. I absolutely love the Babylock Ellisimo for machine quilting. It has some kind of auto tension system that has kept me from having "loopies" on the bottom. The embroidery features are amazing. It has a 10" throat and more stitches that you can imagine. Unfortunately, I am trying to sell it due to financial circumstances. (If you know anyone interested, please PM me for $6300.)
Old 04-19-2011, 03:49 PM

Something I've read here but don't know: what is a "knee lift" is and what does it do ...
Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM

Babylock Espire (now the Symphony), I love mine, and brothers and babylocks are the most user friendly of the brands from what I hear, and also generally a lot more affordable. You can do it with any machine, but what I like about the espire, pivoting feature(the presser foot raises with needle still in fabric) great for changing directions, needle down feature, automatic fabric thickness sensor, knee lift, can sew without presser foot, large work area, lots of decorative stitches, automatic thread cutter, comes with lots of feet and accessories. Sews like a dream. I highly recommend test driving one. There are a lot of good machines out there, can't tell you about them, but i just don't have anything negative to say about my machine. You can even sew jean material no problem, the ankle on the zig zag foot adjusts for the thicknesses. As for the FMQ I am still practicing, stitches are nice when i don't go to fast, still getting the hang of it. No tension problems for me yet. I haven't even used all my features, but as my skills grow, I will grow into my machine
Old 04-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
Something I've read here but don't know: what is a "knee lift" is and what does it do ...
Knee lifts are great. Instead of having to raise your pressure foot with your hand, you push the lever with your knee. Most industrial machines have this, and some of the newer home sewing machines as well. Once you get used to it you'll never want to be without.