Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fons & Porter Klutz glove >

Fons & Porter Klutz glove

Fons & Porter Klutz glove

Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 AM

I use one most the time, as a dental hygienist I take the precaution, no desire to have an open wound while working in a bacteria laden environment(the mouth). And the horse barn too.
I have mostly adjusted to having it on, like a seat belt feels odd not to have it on.
Thank goodness I have not cut myself but have bumped myself leaving a wound. My error is getting forgetful to close the blade.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:47 AM

After reading several stories here on the board, I purchased the Klutz glove and now TRY to remember to use it. My only complaint is that the middle finger on the glove is made the same diameter/circumferance at the base as the first finger and that's not the case with my fingers. It seems a poor design to me or a manufacturing glitch on the one I purchased. Either way, it makes me not want to wear the glove because it's uncomfortable. I think I'll look into the chef gloves and find a better fit at a better price!
Old 04-29-2016, 08:30 AM

Wearing gloves, no way. I think it would make you less careful when cutting.
I have never cut myself because Im very careful.
Plus pulling them off and on constantly when working with fabric would be frustrating.
Been quilting for years and am very careful with cutting.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by donna873 View Post
I use a 45mm and have never cut myself (knock on wood) since I have started quilting 10 years ago. I personally do not see the purpose for it.
I feel the same way. I always pay attention to what I'm doing and I hide the blade when I am done with each cut. The only quilting show I've ever seen using the glove is the Fons & Porter show and they of course sell the glove.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:22 AM

I always wear my Klutz glove. I've never cut myself on the rotary cutter, but I know how easily it could happen. I took a slice off my finger with a potato peeler a couple of Thanksgivings ago, and I don't want to repeat that incident. Better safe than sorry. Once you get used to taking the glove off and on, it's really no problem - just like seat belts.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I never used a glove until my friend almost cut off a finger without one. Good thing to have.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
I have the glove...know I should wear it but my hands are so small that they are floppy on me. I wish they made extra small!! I have never cut myself but there is always that one time that could turn into a trip to the ER. I think I will check the hardwear store for another brand. I bought a pair of gardening gloves that work great for FMQ for 5 dollars.
So funny, I have the opposite problem. Gloves never fit me because I have a really wide palm. It is like wearing a tight band around my hand. Much more of a hazard letting my hand go numb from a glove. I use the stretch knit gloves with the "sugary" looking gripper, for free motion quilting. Bought them at the dollar store, 2/$1. Works great.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have had one since they first came on the market. I read the reviews on Amazon but I am curious if anyone has had an accident while wearing them. I am very lucky since I do not drive that I have never cut myself with a rotary cutter. I have downsize the size of the cutter using a 28mm size figuring the smaller the blade will hopefully increase the lesser the cut. I get chills up my spine when any of my friends pull out their 60mm cutter.
Wellllllll.....after 30+ years of quilting, and using rotary cutter ever since they hit the market ( and I cut with both right and left hands since I am left-handed and those who taught me were all right handed )....I finally on last Monday, cutting when I was too tired...ran the cutter up over the ruler, and sliced my left index finger pretty bad......I immediately taped it up but that evening at hubby's insistence, went to doc in a box, who said I did a great job, no sutures needed, but he did put a couple of stern-strips on it to hold it better. After listening to 2 full days following of " NOW are you going to get that glove",,,I finally ordered one......not here yet, but I have to tell you it will be better than that sinking feeling you get when you feel that blade slice into your finger, hand, etc.....
Old 04-29-2016, 02:10 PM

I've been quilting for 14 yrs and only cut my finger once with the rotary cutter (not a bad cut). It happened in the quilt shop where they taught me to quilt. The owner used to charge us 25 cents for leaving the cutter 'open'. I hate to see that glove F&P use...looks pretty dumb.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:48 PM

I always use the glove. Always. In college I cut a slice off the side of my thumb with an xacto blade. The size of a dime and as thick as a nickel. 9 stitches, and an emergency room bill for an uninsured college student. It took years for the finger print to grow back and the numbness to go away. The reason I wear the glove, is that my minds eye saw that my thumb was in the line of cutting but I didn't stop the cut till I finished the cut and my thumb. Luckily, I saved the piece of thumb before it went down the drain or it would have been harder to heal. Wear the glove.