Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board >

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Old 09-06-2015, 07:08 AM

Many, many comments here hit home .....don't be phony, if you've nothing nice to say, don't say anything....if something has been said by someone else exactly as you would have said it, that's enough...yes, my computer makes me re-sign in every time I make a comment and go back to where I was reading, real put-off.....if I commented on everything every day I'd never get anything else done but I do enjoy the pictures, the workmanship and the talent. I post a picture when I'm asked to do so as in doing a mug rug, a round robin or a row quilt....other than that, I put so much time and energy into making a quilt I'm quite happy to just package it up and send it on it's way! For me, the fun was in doing it, meeting a challenge or making someone happy. Commenting on every picture, to me, is like promising all 400 people you graduated with that you'll always keep in touch but you don't because LIFE keeps happening.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Many, many comments here hit home .....don't be phony, if you've nothing nice to say, don't say anything....if something has been said by someone else exactly as you would have said it, that's enough...yes, my computer makes me re-sign in every time I make a comment and go back to where I was reading, real put-off.....if I commented on everything every day I'd never get anything else done but I do enjoy the pictures, the workmanship and the talent. I post a picture when I'm asked to do so as in doing a mug rug, a round robin or a row quilt....other than that, I put so much time and energy into making a quilt I'm quite happy to just package it up and send it on it's way! For me, the fun was in doing it, meeting a challenge or making someone happy. Commenting on every picture, to me, is like promising all 400 people you graduated with that you'll always keep in touch but you don't because LIFE keeps happening.
I have to agree with this statement and add that compliments given indiscriminately have no worth. If people are only posting to get a "feel good," perhaps they should seek validation from themselves.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I think that some quilters are still running a tight ship and just may NOT have the time like some of us have being retired.
I agree. I work and sometimes I just jump on here for a few minutes when I have some down time and look at pics. I often don't have time to comment on everything. Or anything constructive to say. If others have already commented, I just move on. I figure the post doesn't need one more "nice job" post.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:20 PM

>>>>>I post pictures of mine because I don't really know too many people who would really appreciate quilting. Those of us on this board know the time and care that goes into these things.

[COLOR=#362F2D]It's nice to hear you did a good job. My quilts aren't outstanding but people like them and I have fun putting them together. Quilting is supposed to be fun, right?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by dray965 View Post
Even when I go to the 'pictures' section of this quilting board, as a new quilter (still calling myself that after 4 years), I REALLY appreciate it when people describe the materials used to get the effect of the quilt they're posting. Such as pattern name, fabric type (cotton, flannel, etc.), thread used to piece, thread used to quilt (what was used on the top and bottom) batting used. I use this site to learn. As a matter of fact ALL I know about quilting is what you ladies/gents have taught me from reading all your posts and the answers you've given when I've run into difficulty. THANKS so much for your patience with we newbies. BUT answers to the above are usually what I wish I knew when I'm looking at your pictures.

Love to all of you and happy quilting,
Dray from SE Oklahoma
I completely agree with these comments-
Old 09-07-2015, 12:28 PM

Same here -the software doesn't "remember" Meir keep me signed in.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

I would never offer unsolicited advice on a quilt. If asked I will give an honest reply and not try to make the quilter feel better about something they should fix (or practice more on...).

I don't comment on everything I see. If a comment pops into my mind when I see a photo, I do try to post it. There are always some I don't care for so if I have nothing good to say, I say nothing. I don't expect everyone to like my quilts, either.

If someone is a newer quilter and their photo doesn't have many comments, I may try to find something positive to comment on. Sometimes it's not hard at all!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:04 PM

I tend to comment when I see something that hits me as stunning, beautiful etc. I read posts and view pics almost every day. When someone is asking for help, or suggestions, I rarely post, because I don't feel qualified enough to offer valid advice. I do however, love "lurking" on this board. I have learned so much from others suggestions and ideas!