Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems! >

Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems!

Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:43 AM

It is expensive, but cheaper than a shrink! My husband's hobby is hunting, which he got me involved in as well, and quite honestly, I love it too. Anyway, my interest in hunting came with increased shopping excursions for new hunting toys. To my surprise, for my last birthday, he gave me a gift card to the fabric store with a note that said my hunting addiction was getting too expensive! More than one way to skin a cat!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 PM

Yes, it cost a lot, but so does every other hobby. Do what you feel good about. It's your choice. I promised I wouldn'tstart another quilt until I finishe the tops I all ready had. This week I started another kelidscope twin quilt. I like what I do, and won't let cost stop me, just poor quality.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

a few months ago I was purchasing some fabrics in a lqs, and as we were chatting, the owner checking my purchases, said offhandedly, (meaning, without thinking who she was saying this to), said, "I just went to a quilt show and some of the fabrics were 12.00 and up a yard. It made me think about what I was doing wrong."
I responded rather quickly, "....or what your doing right!"
She then realized that although a nice, chatty person, I was also a paying customer, and this had made me feel like I was soon going to be taken advantage of.
So, she said, "Oh, right."
Since then I have gone in her store and sure enough, the prices are creeping up, up and up.
Why do the fabric owners think they are losing out, if they are still making a decent profit?
Don't they realize that even some of us "compulsive" buyers, can actually muster the strength to resist if it gets out of hand?
This was my first purchase in 3 months and that's an all time record for me.
It won't be the last

Last edited by Mousie; 02-27-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

It's really hard to find bargains any more. We have to try cut corners any way we can.