Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems! >

Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems!

Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 AM

Since starting this expensive hobby a year ago, I have been lucky to have some friends load me up with fabric. It started my stash and I have discovered on line shopping. I search on line (free ones) and in the mags in the library for patterns and have lots to choose from now. I only quilt for my own pleasure as I know most folks around here could not afford to buy one ,besides, then it would become work. I watch thrift stores, yard sales etc and have made some good scores there. A friend gifted me with about 6 sets of old sheets that are lovely and I use my coupons from JoAnns for batting and backing. Since I prefer unbleached muslin for backs, they don't cost as much. I am learning to hand quilt and also tie. If I do use the LAQ I get the minimum quilting done. Best of all my children have finally realised I am serious when i ask for gift cards from JoAnns and Wally world. (yes I use wm fabric) I am on a limited income and look for any way to stretch my quilting budget. As aresult, I am able to indulge in a great hobby that satisfies my creative side and lets me give gifts I know they value. (all are waiting for a quilt..smile) So stop and think of all the ways you can save and keep on quilting. BTW Annasgirl...love your cat....
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
LOL yeah a cheap sheet and serger thread would've been cheaper.
Well, I wouldn't use cheap sheet or serger thread (it is only 2 ply and not as strong) but that is always personal choice. I just keep watch for sales at my LQS and on line.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM

I found a site for backing yesterday and it has good prices, its' call BattMart , they seem to have all the different types of batting and sizes. I do agree, it is getting to be an expensive hobby.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM
mah

It is getting more expensive but I love this hobby. I was at my local Joann's last week and the Warm and Natural batting is now $19.99 a yard!! Am glad I don't make that many large quilts; I like to do lap or twin size.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Yes, good quality quilting fabric has gotten very expensive. The owner of my LQS said she is amazed how much it keeps going up.
A good on-line site is www.connectingthreads.com. They have beautiful fabric and it runs around $5-$6/yard. I have bought from them several times and have always been pleased with the quality. Plus they have great thread.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 AM

I mostly use batting from Atlanta Thread and Supply co. I was lucky to get a free shipping coupon and ordered a whole roll of Mountain mist polyester batting. It was 1.17 per yard for 30 yards. It's poofy but can be flatened and it's wonderfully warm and light! Also my sister just brought me 250 thread count sheet set from Ollies in Lynchburg Va. It's a lovely seafoam green! and she only paid 12.00 for it! I'm on a very fixed income too. Thanks for all the great tips and this helps someone!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM

I agree-I don't smoke, drink, or eat out a lot(brunch twice a month). I read, I bead, I sew and in the spring I garden. Walk with the dogs.
I have always given to others-family and friends- and now it is MY turn! That may be selfish but at 66 I think I should start to come first-after the husband and fur babies, of course!!
Quilting is expensive but rewarding-I love to design and mix and match fabric-I do donate the finished product but by that time I am ready to play with my fabric again. I just need to find someone to quilt the darn tops for me!! I hate that part!!
And the part I love the most-I have no time clock and if I want to read the latest Robb I can do that or bead or play I can do those things as well. And if I don't sew for a few days - that's okay as well.
Life is to be enjoyed and there are so many other things that are more expensive that we don't realize until we start to count pennies-coffee out, special meats or meals, the local pizza or bbq place. The gym-ugh!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM

I am a scrapper. It's even hard to afford enough good quality fabric for baby items. Luckily the scrap bins are still ok in cost and I use my husband's shirts. Shirting is very nice for squares for backing and for pieces, and makes a fun apron. There is no way to pay so much. I did try asking on FreeCycle.com for my area. A dear lady had a giant box of fabric. Sigh it was all double knit polyester. (ew)
Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 AM

Try Connecting Threads. They have great prices and good fabric. All the notions, too.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Sounds like he is a real Keeper!!

Originally Posted by butterflies5518 View Post
I am getting near retirement age and purchase here and there to build my stash, templates and books. I love shopping here first - the bargains never get old. My BF is an enabler and loves going to Joann's and LQS and stocks up on FQ's just because he likes the prints. Now the challenge - find a pattern to make them work!