Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems! >

Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems!

Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:44 AM

I have also realized that I picked a hobby that is expensive.I dont smoke praise God,dont drink,dont gamble,dont do drugs.My biggest fault is I like all the gadgets you use for quilting.When we decided to move from Wi,to Az I knew that we lived to far from a big city.85 miles south east of Tucson.I started buying thread and fabric and notions when I worked full time knowing that this could get expensive.I am buying a embroidery sewing machine.It is on lay away.I want to do shirts for church members with our name and phone number on them,along with putting designs on quilts.My only problem is that I have no one to leave this stuff to when i die.Im 62 and hope not to go soon but you never know.Im trying to come up with a place that I could give my stuff to.I need to write this information down as with the list of what I have so nothing gets thrown out.No grand daughters to give it to and daughter-in-laws dont sew at all. We have a trust but none of this is listed in it. I love quilting and want to make a quilt for each of my grand sons for their weddings and have these put away incase Im not around for them.The youngest is 2 and who knows when that time will be.I want to leave a keep sake for all 4 boys.I already pray for Godly wifes for them and want to know that I have something for their special day.I guess I got a little off subject,but these thing are on my heart and I have no one besides this sight to talk to about these things.This is why I love this sight.Lost my mom and only sister a few years ago.So I guess you can be my sisters if you want.

Last edited by Dawnmarieodya; 02-21-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-21-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by annasgirl View Post
I do ALL of my quilt shopping online. There are so many wonderful online quilt shops that sell top quality fabric for less. If you join a virtual shop-hop, you can find hundreds of resources for your quilting needs.

There are some really good sales online right now but has anyone but me noticed that the price of fabric at online shops has risen a lot recently? It would be way more with shipping than the price of my LQS.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=SoSewSue;4990482]...... Geesh at these prices I want this project to laaaaaast a while so I can maximize my cost:enjoyment ratio![/QUOTE]

Beautifully stated, SoSewSue ! !
Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 PM

I look at this way. This is the only hobby I have and enjoy it so much! I don't shop for clothes, shoes (until I really need them) and purses so figure I can spend money on my fabric and get what I want. I get emails from online stores and when they have a sale I stock up on batting, thread and backing fabric which is usually muslin. When I want to start a new quilt I go to my favorite online stores and see what they have. Yes...this does get expensive but look at the beautiful quilts you can make and they're something that will be around a long time. Enjoy!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:01 PM

You just have to look for sales and specials.Of course I hve a large stash.If you are into swaps the Curious quilters charm square swap is great.My best friend Barb`s hubby said it keeps us out the bars.I don`t drink,smoke,gamble so I will keep on buying what I can afford.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM

It is still cheaper than going to the doctor's office and meds to calm you down. Look at all the exercise your brain gets solving all these little problems. hehe
Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM

Yes, it is an expensive hobby, but it is cheaper than a shrink! Quilting keeps me sane. There are some members of my family that would dispute that. LOL. Never the less, you have to do something for yourself once in a while. My time spent quilting is my "me time".
Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 PM

It is expensive. Have you ever tried to sell them? That way you can make quilts and the money to make more.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Yes it is an expensive hobby!! AND if you take into account equipment to do it with it can be very expensive.
I have been sewing, quilting, machine embroidery, for years it can be very expensive also time consuming, and frustrating at times. But can also be very rewarding also.
I made my first grandchild's Christening gown(gown,slip,hat). Then when my son's first born was on the way I ask if I could make his Christening gown & my daughter-in-law said yes much to my delight. I made a heirloom gown I made the lace, motifs, it took me about 4 months a lot of migraines it was beautiful.
Connie
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Red face My Motto as far as money is concerned.

If you don't want to spend any money don't get out of bed.