Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems! >

Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems!

Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 AM

Thousands of Bolts is having a special shipping rate until the 24th. Flat rate of $3.95 regardless of the amount you purchase. I buy most of my "basics" through them. Their prices are good and so is the quality.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 AM

This is the second time have tried to post this reply. This new format is sometimes nonresponsive. Here goes....
Quilters, here's the thing...quilting is a lot less expensive than therapy. When the doc figures out that you need more to your life than housework etc. he or she will tell you to get a hobby to satisfy your creative urges. You will have spent enough at the sessions to buy that dream machine or high end fabric. My outrageous stash is now paying off and those fabrics I couldn't bring myself to cut have been there long enough to let go of.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 AM

I guess I think of the satification when I complete a quilt. When it is a gift to a love one, and I made it how wonderful. Just remember, somepeople spend money and have nothing to show for it, we have our quilts. I have used materials from old clothing, fabric from yard sales and fabric that was given to me. It all goes into my scrap quilts and they are used and loved by my loved one. Thank goodness you do not smoke, it would cost a lot more than your quilting.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 AM

I know the price of fabric has escalated, but over here in UK, our prices are astronomical compared to US. I wanted a particular fabric for a quilt I am making, and it was £12 (app $18).I found the same fabric online from a store in Oregon, and with shipping to UK, it cost me £8 (app $12) The only problem with buying from US sometimes you get stung for import tax, but as this was not a big order, I had non to pay.If I visit US, I always comw home with some fabric in my suitcase.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by judi wess View Post
Ok fellow quilters, here's the thing. Pscho therapy can cost a lot more than our beloved hobby and when the Doc releases you he will still tell you to get a hobby for your ongoing therapy. So, you have spent enough on therapy to buy that dream machine or high end fabric, notions or quilt shows or camp. Hmmmmmm.
My outrageous stash is now paying off, am actually able to cut into beloved fabric to satisfy my creative urges.
I agree 100%. Having a creative outlet such as gardening or sewing/quilting alleviates a lot of stress that the typical woman feels from doing things that must be done over and over and over and over and over and...
Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 AM

I do ALL of my quilt shopping online. There are so many wonderful online quilt shops that sell top quality fabric for less. If you join a virtual shop-hop, you can find hundreds of resources for your quilting needs.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Figure out a monthly budget and put aside an amount for your quilting then put the cash in an envelope marked "quilting" then when you shop use that money only to shop with. One month you may not use it all. Keep it in the envelope and add to it each month. Example: January $20- spent $15, Feb. add $20-spent $10, March add $20 you now have $35 in the envelope to spend. Your not going over your monthly budget but you have a little bit put aside for a bigger expense when it comes along. Just don't spend more than is in the envelope. If you shop on line put that amount of cash back into your checking account.
Another thing to remember is the tradition in quilting was: Use what you have available.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Yes, it is becoming more expensive but this is my main charity so I continue while always looking for sales.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 AM
LMB

I scrimp on everything. I am on such a tight budget I cant even afford to pay attention. ha ha . Having said that, I sew when I find a good deal, and the rest of the time I hit the resale shops, and any place else I can find to get a good deal. I truely share your pain. This economy is the worst!! Dont give up your hobby, just keep looking because the deals are out there somewhere.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 AM

I am getting near retirement age and purchase here and there to build my stash, templates and books. I love shopping here first - the bargains never get old. My BF is an enabler and loves going to Joann's and LQS and stocks up on FQ's just because he likes the prints. Now the challenge - find a pattern to make them work!