Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the skinny on the correct way to cut and sew

Over all the time that I have read and posted here, I have found there are many quilters, some new, who have questions, better answered by an experienced quilter and seamstress.

If you truly want to learn the correct way, go here.

http://judymartin.com/

I know there are so many books on the market with so many talented artist in their design but even so, most of them, are not teaching you the correct way. if the instructions says cut on the crossgrain to make your strips, that is a glue right there that they are using methods from the caravan days lol.

Learn the facts about fabric etc. and then do as you please. I have seen enough questions here to merit this post.

Just go read and have a wonderful learning experience and then buy one of her books and they are all alike with stuff you need to know.

We all quilt at our own style and that is fine but it always helps to get the groundwork under you belt, if you are so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Over all the time that I have read and posted here, I have found there are many quilters, some new, who have questions, better answered by an experienced quilter and seamstress.

If you truly want to learn the correct way, go here.

http://judymartin.com/

I know there are so many books on the market with so many talented artist in their design but even so, most of them, are not teaching you the correct way. if the instructions says cut on the crossgrain to make your strips, that is a glue right there that they are using methods from the caravan days lol.

Learn the facts about fabric etc. and then do as you please. I have seen enough questions here to merit this post.

Just go read and have a wonderful learning experience and then buy one of her books and they are all alike with stuff you need to know.

We all quilt at our own style and that is fine but it always helps to get the groundwork under you belt, if you are so inclined.
    There is no one correct way to do anything.

wow, that was interesting. I don't think I totally understand it, but bookmarked her website and will go back. So far I haven't had any trouble with strips cut the other way, but then again, I haven't tried anything very intricate either.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    There is no one correct way to do anything.
    Probably, but there is frequently a "better/easier/more economical/skilled" way, and that is what Roshyf was sharing.
    She wasn't bashing anyone. Was it the unfortunate choice of the word "correct" that bothered you?

I personally think her suggestion -- made to NEW, untrained quilters -- is quite a valid one and might save a lot of time, waste, frustration, and yes, even heartache for those who follow up on it.

Jan in VA

knowledge is power....thanks for the info

Very interesting indeed! I never would have thought to cut lengthwise, I shall give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the website link. I am always trying to find an easier, faster method to improve my quilting.

Blog Entries
    I've heard that it's better to cut lengthwise and I understand why. But I usually have less than a yard of fabric to work with and don't really want shorter strips so I cut width wise. It works for me so far. I think it's still okay for people to ask questions here though.

I do agree that there is no "correct" way. It might be the "better" way though.

I don't always apply the proper rules when sewing, but I try to stay informed and am eager to learn more info whenever I can.

..it's kinda like dieting, I know what I should and shouldn't eat, but I don't always follow the plan...lol

They both give you results, but the results will vary.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    I don't always apply the proper rules when sewing, but I try to stay informed and am eager to learn more info whenever I can.

..it's kinda like dieting, I know what I should and shouldn't eat, but I don't always follow the plan...lol

They both give you results, but the results will vary.
    Same here. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast