Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: what's the best way to "manhandle" bat and wideback to correct size?

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

what's the best way to "manhandle" bat and wideback to correct size?

I long arm and when using bat off my roll, or backing I cut, I have no problems. But when a customer gives me a king size bat or 4 yds of 118" wideback for a 60x85 quilt, it feels like rounding up a herd of cats! When I try to cut the wideback on my cutting table, it seems that once I open it up ,the darn stuff is so off-grain that it won't play right on the long arm. I've tried ripping it, but don't like the frayed edges and it doesn't always seem even. So please share your best method for cutting down these unwieldy big pieces!

Blog Entries
    Sorry, the only way I've done it successfully is to tear it.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Can you fold it in quarters then cut or fold in half for easier handling?

What type of batting?? I usually have used Hobbs batting off the roll but when I moved, I said I got to use this packaged batting. I just throw it into the dryer when I have washed towels and bed-sheets and it comes out smooth as if it came off the roll.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Seems like you could tell your customers that you provide the batting. If they want a specific type, you could get it on a roll.

with wide backing, I've found it gets stretched and rolled out of shape. I always prewash mine, and even when it is horrid from the store, it washes and relaxes back into square with the grain. Then I can fold and cut or rip, and it's fine. I also roll my backing on to the top rail and then line it up and pin to the front rail, and roll it from the top to the front to keep a nice tension. A few times I've rolled back and forth between the two to get a better tension on the backing.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    great ideas and I definitely will use the bat in the dryer idea---not something I need to do when it's on a roll. And Macybaby, probably because I do wash my own backing, I don't seem to have problem with it--or at least not as much. I will start asking customers to wash their backing or if not, have a charge to do it, so that it "plays" better.