Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Getting the skinny on the correct way to cut and sew

  1. #1
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,893
    Over all the time that I have read and posted here, I have found there are many quilters, some new, who have questions, better answered by an experienced quilter and seamstress.

    If you truly want to learn the correct way, go here.

    http://judymartin.com/

    I know there are so many books on the market with so many talented artist in their design but even so, most of them, are not teaching you the correct way. if the instructions says cut on the crossgrain to make your strips, that is a glue right there that they are using methods from the caravan days lol.

    Learn the facts about fabric etc. and then do as you please. I have seen enough questions here to merit this post.

    Just go read and have a wonderful learning experience and then buy one of her books and they are all alike with stuff you need to know.

    We all quilt at our own style and that is fine but it always helps to get the groundwork under you belt, if you are so inclined.

  2. #2
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Over all the time that I have read and posted here, I have found there are many quilters, some new, who have questions, better answered by an experienced quilter and seamstress.

    If you truly want to learn the correct way, go here.

    http://judymartin.com/

    I know there are so many books on the market with so many talented artist in their design but even so, most of them, are not teaching you the correct way. if the instructions says cut on the crossgrain to make your strips, that is a glue right there that they are using methods from the caravan days lol.

    Learn the facts about fabric etc. and then do as you please. I have seen enough questions here to merit this post.

    Just go read and have a wonderful learning experience and then buy one of her books and they are all alike with stuff you need to know.

    We all quilt at our own style and that is fine but it always helps to get the groundwork under you belt, if you are so inclined.
    There is no one correct way to do anything.

  3. #3
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,648
    wow, that was interesting. I don't think I totally understand it, but bookmarked her website and will go back. So far I haven't had any trouble with strips cut the other way, but then again, I haven't tried anything very intricate either.

  4. #4
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    There is no one correct way to do anything.
    Probably, but there is frequently a "better/easier/more economical/skilled" way, and that is what Roshyf was sharing.
    She wasn't bashing anyone. Was it the unfortunate choice of the word "correct" that bothered you?

    I personally think her suggestion -- made to NEW, untrained quilters -- is quite a valid one and might save a lot of time, waste, frustration, and yes, even heartache for those who follow up on it.

    Jan in VA

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    knowledge is power....thanks for the info

  6. #6
    Super Member candi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE The Sunshine State
    Posts
    4,071
    Very interesting indeed! I never would have thought to cut lengthwise, I shall give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

  7. #7
    Super Member deanneellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dallas,Oregon
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks for the website link. I am always trying to find an easier, faster method to improve my quilting.

  8. #8
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've heard that it's better to cut lengthwise and I understand why. But I usually have less than a yard of fabric to work with and don't really want shorter strips so I cut width wise. It works for me so far. I think it's still okay for people to ask questions here though.

    I do agree that there is no "correct" way. It might be the "better" way though.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    I don't always apply the proper rules when sewing, but I try to stay informed and am eager to learn more info whenever I can.

    ..it's kinda like dieting, I know what I should and shouldn't eat, but I don't always follow the plan...lol

    They both give you results, but the results will vary.

  10. #10
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    I don't always apply the proper rules when sewing, but I try to stay informed and am eager to learn more info whenever I can.

    ..it's kinda like dieting, I know what I should and shouldn't eat, but I don't always follow the plan...lol

    They both give you results, but the results will vary.
    Same here. :thumbup:

  11. #11
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    There is no one correct way to do anything.
    Probably, but there is frequently a "better/easier/more economical/skilled" way, and that is what Roshyf was sharing.
    She wasn't bashing anyone. Was it the unfortunate choice of the word "correct" that bothered you?

    I personally think her suggestion -- made to NEW, untrained quilters -- is quite a valid one and might save a lot of time, waste, frustration, and yes, even heartache for those who follow up on it.

    Jan in VA
    Thank you Jan, that is what I meant. It's just information for those who need it or want more.

    Here is a good example of cutting on the straight of grain. Try it. Cut accross the grain and make a log cabin block, now cut with the grain and make the same block. You will find the the cross grain block graps the strips in and the block is sorta curvy, while the staight of grain is perfect or almost lol. If you cut your borders accross the grain, you will have to do a lot of easing as they stretch.

    The saying was, at the time I started to quilt and took classes...that to cut accross the grain would give you more and it was economical. As a seamstress from way back, I knew that was wrong. I did the class and went home and did it again on the straight. It didn't save any fabric what-so-ever. I like to keep an open mind on things and will try everything once and then go on from there. We are always learning and we can never learn all of it. There is always something new for us to discover.

  12. #12
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    You know, I'm going to try it. I never thought about it but even with long strips, I end up cutting them down anyway. On my next project I will give it a try. thank you!

    btw when I do cut strips from fat quarters I cut them across the 18" side so it's the lengthwise grain.

  13. #13
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,893
    The moon does affect me so ignore me if you want to lol....I can't resist, so here goes.

    The right way or the correct way, same difference. If One were working at a Nuclear Plant and One's job was to pour a certain liquid into a funnel sticking out of a tube and this was the correct way to do that....and One decided to take the funnel off and just pour into the tube as there was no correct way to do things, and all the liquid spilled all over the place....oh what have you done? hahahahahhaah

  14. #14
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,803
    Just curious...how do you keep track of the grain when you're cutting squares?

  15. #15
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Just curious...how do you keep track of the grain when you're cutting squares?
    Trying to keep track of the grain and make sure it all runs the same way pretty much runs into obsessive-compulsive territory for me.

  16. #16
    Senior Member tinliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ft. Wayne
    Posts
    678
    I only kick myself for not thinking of this from my garment sewing days. Wish I had read this post before I cut the fabric for my last quilt on the cross grain. At least I will know in the future.
    Thanks for the post.

  17. #17
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Just curious...how do you keep track of the grain when you're cutting squares?

    I usually just pull it one way or the other if I need to....the straight of grain won't budge.

  18. #18
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Just curious...how do you keep track of the grain when you're cutting squares?

    I usually just pull it one way or the other if I need to....the straight of grain won't budge.
    Do you starch your fabric?

  19. #19
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    The moon does affect me so ignore me if you want to lol....I can't resist, so here goes.

    The right way or the correct way, same difference. If One were working at a Nuclear Plant and One's job was to pour a certain liquid into a funnel sticking out of a tube and this was the correct way to do that....and One decided to take the funnel off and just pour into the tube as there was no correct way to do things, and all the liquid spilled all over the place....oh what have you done? hahahahahhaah
    Funny, but I don't think you can compare nuclear liquid with fabric and quilts. lol.

  20. #20
    Super Member Gladys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,621
    Thanks you so much Rosyhf. I always enjoy learning as I'm new to quilting. I used to make all my clothes and I know how important not cutting on the cross grain is in most situations with garments.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    443
    Blog Entries
    22
    Thanks for the info

  22. #22
    Junior Member trugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    saint louis, mo
    Posts
    266
    Thanks for the link!

  23. #23
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Just curious...how do you keep track of the grain when you're cutting squares?

    I usually just pull it one way or the other if I need to....the straight of grain won't budge.
    Do you starch your fabric?
    Yes sometimes I do, after I cut my patches and sew them together, I spray starch the block and block it..I don't spray before I cut, but do iron my fabric before cutting....

  24. #24
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Do you starch your fabric?
    Yes sometimes I do, after I cut my patches and sew them together, I spray starch the block and block it..I don't spray before I cut, but do iron my fabric before cutting....
    Why don't you starch your fabric before cutting? (Hope you don't mind all my questions. LOL)

  25. #25
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Do you starch your fabric?
    Yes sometimes I do, after I cut my patches and sew them together, I spray starch the block and block it..I don't spray before I cut, but do iron my fabric before cutting....
    Why don't you starch your fabric before cutting? (Hope you don't mind all my questions. LOL)

    Because most of the time it's not necessary. I use quilter's cottons and they have a nice hand, all that is needed is ironing after the washing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.