Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getting the skinny on the correct way to cut and sew

Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Do you starch your fabric?
    Yes sometimes I do, after I cut my patches and sew them together, I spray starch the block and block it..I don't spray before I cut, but do iron my fabric before cutting....
    Why don't you starch your fabric before cutting? (Hope you don't mind all my questions. LOL)

Because most of the time it's not necessary. I use quilter's cottons and they have a nice hand, all that is needed is ironing after the washing.
    Thanks for your explanation, Rosyhf. :)

RST
    Blog Entries
    Keeping track of strait of grain is not so much of an issue if you are strip piecing the strips. Which is a pleasure to do, when one cuts nice straight strips in the first place.

I learned rotary cutting from a Judy Martin class, and I've used her techniques for a long time. I also ignore them, when it suits me. But I agree -- it's a good thing to know the "rules" and rationale behind them. Then, if you choose to do otherwise, it's an informed choice.

This however, has not been a popular mindset around here. Watch out, or you will be called disturbing and forward.

RST

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    Keeping track of strait of grain is not so much of an issue if you are strip piecing the strips. Which is a pleasure to do, when one cuts nice straight strips in the first place.

I learned rotary cutting from a Judy Martin class, and I've used her techniques for a long time. I also ignore them, when it suits me. But I agree -- it's a good thing to know the "rules" and rationale behind them. Then, if you choose to do otherwise, it's an informed choice.

This however, has not been a popular mindset around here. Watch out, or you will be called disturbing and forward.

RST

Oh goodness hahahahahah....

I have to share this. I'm sure some will think it's heresy but that's ok. ;)
    Just don't throw rocks at me. :):):)
    The other day I was cutting strips along the grain and I decided to fold
    my fabric selvage to selvage then cut my strips from the middle out.
    It could not have been straighter than that and the rotary cutting was a
    lot easier. Like cutting through butter. My blade was not even new.
    NOTE: I was cutting 2.5" strips but the first strip on the fold I cut a little
    more - probably 2.75" so I could trim it easily. I pre-starched my fabric
    as usual. I'm not sure if/how it would work for anything less than a yard.
    One yard at a time seems to work for me. Maybe I got lucky and the grain
    was perfectly straight. Might not work so well if the grain is not straight.

Has anyone else done this? :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2