Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GFG - freezer paper or precut hex

Looking for opinion on preference for using freezer paper for hex or using precut hex. I want to start my gfg and can't decide which way to go. The toss up would be freezer hexes can be ironed to the fabric and the precut hexes may provide more accurate shapes??

I'm currently working on a GFG and I used file folders to cut my hexi's. I found it easier to handle and sew. My hexi's are a little bigger than the norm 3 3/4. I used this tute as a quide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB2krboL-FU

I am using the precut.

Blog Entries
    if i were to tackle such a huge, once in a lifetime quilt, i'd want to make sure my results are good. so i think i would go for the commercial plastic templates. jmho

Don't use June Tailor simple shapes from Joann's they don't work well going back and I will have to figure out how to get quilt Paties instead.

Blog Entries
    I don't use paper to sew my hexes. I cut the hex shapes from fabric (I use my Go) and then hand sew them together with 1/4" seam. At 1/4" from end, I add another hex. The benefit of this is no basting and then no whip seaming. No thread shows at all. I'm not a good handsewer but once I saw this method I haven't used paper again. It saves so much time.

I am working on a 3/4" hand project and using pre-cuts. Someone also posted a tip here, to whole punch the centers. Sure makes it alot easier to pop the paper out~

I use my junk mail and those little cards that fall out of magazines to make mine. Baste the fabric to them, then sew together, no problems.

Blog Entries
    I've tried both. For me I love the freezer paper method because once they're ironed into place they don't move. I have trouble getting the pre-cuts to stay where I want them! That's only me though! You may end up loving the precuts :) Everyone's different and most of it is personal preference. Happy Quilting.

I made a GFG using pre cut paper pcs. I love the way it worked out. Also ordered Dresden plste paper pcs from same company. Did not want to cut my own. Was looking for uniformity.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast