Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GFG - freezer paper or precut hex

Looking for opinion on preference for using freezer paper for hex or using precut hex. I want to start my gfg and can't decide which way to go. The toss up would be freezer hexes can be ironed to the fabric and the precut hexes may provide more accurate shapes??

I'm currently working on a GFG and I used file folders to cut my hexi's. I found it easier to handle and sew. My hexi's are a little bigger than the norm 3 3/4. I used this tute as a quide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB2krboL-FU

I am using the precut.

Blog Entries
    if i were to tackle such a huge, once in a lifetime quilt, i'd want to make sure my results are good. so i think i would go for the commercial plastic templates. jmho

Don't use June Tailor simple shapes from Joann's they don't work well going back and I will have to figure out how to get quilt Paties instead.

Blog Entries
    I don't use paper to sew my hexes. I cut the hex shapes from fabric (I use my Go) and then hand sew them together with 1/4" seam. At 1/4" from end, I add another hex. The benefit of this is no basting and then no whip seaming. No thread shows at all. I'm not a good handsewer but once I saw this method I haven't used paper again. It saves so much time.

I am working on a 3/4" hand project and using pre-cuts. Someone also posted a tip here, to whole punch the centers. Sure makes it alot easier to pop the paper out~

I use my junk mail and those little cards that fall out of magazines to make mine. Baste the fabric to them, then sew together, no problems.

Blog Entries
    I've tried both. For me I love the freezer paper method because once they're ironed into place they don't move. I have trouble getting the pre-cuts to stay where I want them! That's only me though! You may end up loving the precuts :) Everyone's different and most of it is personal preference. Happy Quilting.

I made a GFG using pre cut paper pcs. I love the way it worked out. Also ordered Dresden plste paper pcs from same company. Did not want to cut my own. Was looking for uniformity.

I am over half way though mine and use paper pre cuts. They are working great for me.

Just watched a Fons and Porter TV show, they used mylar hex templates from Brandys, you get one for the cut size and then 50 or so of the 'heat resistant' templates. What the girls did on the show, not saying right or wrong, was cut the hex out of the fabric, spray it well with spray starch, then iron fold the edges of the hex, every other one, around the template.....let dry well...then pop the template and sew. They sewed on the machine with invisible thread....can look us the episode if you want...

I am in the process of making hexazon quilt also....I cut my own from freezer paper and some from the paper in my printer.....The printer paper worked much better for me as it held its shape better than the freezer paper.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy Bee
    I am in the process of making hexazon quilt also....I cut my own from freezer paper and some from the paper in my printer.....The printer paper worked much better for me as it held its shape better than the freezer paper.....
    This is the quilt I'm working on....I'm trying to decide what background fabrics...The green would border all around ....everything is just pinned on the board right now
    Name:  Attachment-275334.jpe
Views: 81
Size:  75.4 KB

I made my first GFG out of 1" hex's and used freezer paper. I like this because you could take them with you and not worry about loosing anything. The one I am making now is of 1/2" hex's and I print out hex's on card stock. I enjoy all parts of this, I cut and sew while watching TV with hubby in the evenings. He likes it too because I'm not in another room on my sewing machine. When I finishe this one I want to try one a little smaller just to see how it will go together. Not sure how big it will be.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't dream of cutting all those paper pieces...you all are awesome for doing your own! I purchase mine precut from paperpieces.com. I use 1" sides. I also purchased precut 2 & 1/2" strips which I rotary cut to 2 & 1/2" squares. I baste my squares to the paper pieces so that the project can sit for a while. This will take years after all! A quick start to my lifelong English Paper pieced GFG! Good luck.

I printed my own on card stock and let my mother and sister cut them out. You can also use those little post cards that always fall out of magazines when you pick up the magazine to read it.

Blog Entries
    I am making a GFG out of my scraps. I love this tute http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2009...r-piecing.html

I don't cut the hexes though. I cut the 18" wide freezer paper in 6" stips, iron two strips together(shiny side down, shiny side down on a cutting board covered with foil, it pulls right off and leaves a side to iron to the fabric)
    I then go the local grade school and use their die cut machine and and just stack 5 or 6 double strips together and MASH out hexes. Saves lots of time and they are all the same size. School dosent charge me. I just clean up my mess and try and leave the room cleaner then when I found it. No, I dont have any little ones attending. Yes, I have had to teach some of the teachers how to made GFGs :). Just spreading the love. PM me if you need clearer directions. HUGS!

pic of my hexes with hole punched and ruler for size
    Name:  Attachment-275430.jpe
Views: 81
Size:  33.8 KB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johanka
    I am using the precut.
    The ones I get are tag board weight. I get them in 100 or 600 packages. I have my pattern, cut the material, lay a hex in the middle of fabric and use fabric glue to glue the fabric to the to the hex. I get enough to put a flower togather then whip stitch them togather. I leave the hex in the outer ring but take the two rows inside out. When I will start the next color I will "glue" material to the hex and start going around the flower.

Banned
    I did mine in English paper piecing.
    I bought alot of papers from one of the online firms that sell EPP supplies. I used each hexagon 5-6 times before it was totally worn out.

Oh, I love the flexible, ironable ones from Brandy's too. Lots in the package, reusable. I have them in every size, have made four quilts. www.brandysquiltpatterns.com
    Prices are very reasonable, shipping is quick

I printed my own on card stock and a laser printer, that way I got the exact size I wanted and as many as I could possible need as my gfg got bigger. If you go to this web site you can set the exact size you want for a hex and it gives you a PDF file to download onto your computer to print as many hexes as you want.
    http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

I use the freezer paper ones and stack about six pieces of freezer paper together and staple in the middle of each hex and cut them out. Can use the papers over and over. If you're making a lot of flowers you need a lot of those purchased items as you leave the last round in the flower until you sew them all together. Have made LOTS of GFG's and they've all turned out great using this method.

Use card stock & print in a printer. Works very well. I now have one almost a king size. It is so easy to do this. I purchased a package of 100 pre-cut just to make sure my hexies were straight. I posted my GFG on here last week if you would like to look at it.
    The time spent cutting the card stock is done when I have to takle my Mothger to doc & in eve when I need down time. Very relaxing Enjoy whatever method you do, but do it by hand, much more satisfying. You don't have to rush to get this done. I am going to hand quilt mine also. Good Luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast