Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to LOOK at a long arm.... >

Going to LOOK at a long arm....

Going to LOOK at a long arm....

Old 05-31-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Yes, what MaryKatherine says. I think a throat opening 22-26 inches and a frame 12 feet wide is great. You'll be able to tackle anything. Do you want to sit down or stand when quilting?

I own an INNOVA 26 inches on a 12 foot frame.
I agree. I also have an Innova 26"/12' table. I tried many different machines until I finally came upon the Innova. I learned how to use a LA at the LQS near my old house. I took a class and then could rent time on their machine. Their first machine was a non-regulated Nolting, then they upgraded to a non-regulated Gammill. They used a Statler/Gammill for their business.

After we moved, I tried several different machines after I couldn't find a reasonable place to rent (only one place in town and it was pricey). Each one had drawbacks that I didn't want to deal with besides price: the HandiQuilter dealer told me I would have to bring the 45# head annually into their shop for servicing and Gammills needed a diaper and no close support. Innovas are very low maintenance; only 1 oiling point and many add-ons can be done without having to buy a new machine or without the tech having to come out. They don't really need any major hands on "tech" servicing and they have 24/7 phone support.

I would still recommend trying out different machines yourself to see what works best for you. Try to go to a larger quilt show that would have many LA dealers, so you can try different ones at one location.

One caveat: sit down machines do take up less room, but they are like giant DSM because you are pushing the quilt under the needle vs. a traditional LA, where you are moving the head across the quilt.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:20 PM

Watson, that is so exciting! And nice that the seller is wanting you to do some research before making a choice. I fell in love with long arm quilting--played at shows, rented time and due to an inheritance and a fellow guild member's death, able to get a 26" Gammill Classic Plus (means it has stitch regulation) with all her rulers, pantos, books, and thread. One thing about buying used if the seller is not just upgrading is they often want to sell the "kit & kaboodle".

And yes, you do get MUCH better with practice. I would frankly say that it took me probably a dozen quilts before I felt that I was consistently doing a nice job--lots of "unsewing" And do take some classes and invest in some good books for ideas--I particularly love Angela Walters and Amanda Murphy's books--but there are many others, too.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:25 PM

Well I thought I was 1-2 years away from purchasing, and I still may be, but tomorrow I am going to look at a 5 years old HQ 16 on a frame.

The price is about $750.00 more than a new sit down machine.

I know a 16 is a mid arm, not a long arm, but the price is in line with my budget and there is a local dealer for servicing. Plus it is less than half what I was expecting to pay for a long arm down the road.

If I click with the machine, it will help me to determine if long arming is for me, without a huge initial outlay.

As it is I was looking at spending 1/2 the price, on going away to a place where I can rent time on a long arm. And where I live very few long arm machines come on the market, so it will have resale value.

Wish me luck.