Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to LOOK at a long arm.... >

Going to LOOK at a long arm....

Going to LOOK at a long arm....

Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Default Going to LOOK at a long arm....

Just LOOK.

What questions do I need to ask so I at least look like I know what I'm talking about?

This is the first long arm I will have looked at and actually buying one will be in the future, but I want to get a start on looking at the different models and styles.

Watson
Old 05-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I don't own one, but the more options on the machine, the price will increase. I would stay within what you can afford. Some LA are as expensive as a sports car. Get ready for some sticker shock.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:54 AM

Ask them what advantages theirs has over the others. Then when you see the "others," you'll have an idea what to ask them about.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:15 PM

Is this at a dealer's or an individual? Either way, ask to actually quilt on it (you may want to take some scrap and batting to make sure this happens), find out the maintenance that has been done on it--many allow you to check the hours of usage but don't freak out on high numbers if it's used cause most machines are built as commercial machines and should last for years and decades! Find out the size of the bobbin--the M's are the larger ones and don't require as many bobbin changes. ASk the seller to help you load a quilt--how difficult is it to do? Do the uptake bars, etc allow you to manuver them easily? Are leaders in good shape (the canvas that the quilt is attached to)? Ask to see the oil that is used on the machine--is it very yellow? If so it means the oil has started to deteriorate and may not be doing a good job. Does the machine move easily?
do the controls fit you? I just took a class on a different brand than I use and the on/off and other controls were on the back part of the machine and I had a very hard time reaching them when the machine was at the top of the work space (which due to being a class machine was fairly narrrow)--I like the controls to be easy to reach--at my finger tips so to speak! Also--depending on your height and arm reach, you may be very comfortable with a machine that doesn't have a very long harp, so don't pay for what you don't need on a new machine.S(always leaning over to reach the top will kill your back). Does it have a laser to do pantos? What about an extension plate to allow you to use rulers?
I LOVE the stitch regulator--but do try it out on both SR and manuel--are the stitches well made on both on both sides of fabric? Ask to be shown how the machine tension adjusts, also the bobbins.
If it's an individual seller, who would move and reassemble? How accessible is a tech? Tech support?
I'm assuming you have done your due diligence on-line checking prices and reviews? Also you've checked out LA at shows? If it's an individual, don't feel rushed (ditto with dealers!) as around here, most quilters I know trying to sell a used LA don't get it done overnite! Good luck and keep us posted! Remember, these are major investments so don't rush your decision!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 PM

I suggest trying out as many as you can. I didn't find my favorite till my 4th set up. I started small until I KNEW I really wanted to long arm, and worked my way up. The more you try, one will 'feel' right- whether that is how it feels when it sews, how it handles, features and/or price. Ask every long armer you come across what they sew on, why they picked it and what would they change if they could. You will learn alot! Maybe consider taking a user class at a shop that rents machines. Any class charge will help you decide if its right for you without making such a big purchase. There are also sites that have ads for used machines. I found my Gammill that way and I sold it there when I bought my Innova (yes, I was on a journey! So are you!). Good luck!
Old 05-14-2016, 06:50 AM

I guess the 1st thing is to decide what kind of quilting you plan on doing when you do get one, then decide what items you want on your setup................stitch regulator, robotics, throat depth, frame width, automatic advance, lighting, etc. There ae so many add-ons you can get these days but you need to decide what is most important to you. Then go test drive all you can find as each machine will feel differently to you. You'll know when you find the one that works best for you.

Also as to throat size, I suggest buying the largest you can but keep in mind how comfortable it feels to you. As one thread brought up.......larger the better, not necessarily as if you buy one that is too deep for you to reach to the back, you've just purchased a machine you can't use to the fullest. Also, customer service is very important too. Make sure the company stands behind their product. Its great if some of the maintenance can be done by you, saving you time and money having to tote the machine off to a shop or worse having them come to your house where they will charge you a service call as well as the repair.

I wasn't even looking into buying a larger system till I test drove one at the quilt show. I fell in love with how it played in my hands. I still didn't order one right then but went home with the brochures and slept on it before making my mind up. As it would be my last machine, I decided what add-ons I would want then as it would cost more if I ordered them later. I was fortunate that I had a budget that afforded me the machine system I wanted. The only thing I wish I would have gotten then was a longer frame as I didn't realize each frame company measures their frame differently. Otherwise I love my quilt system.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:49 PM

Good luck. By the time I go to look, I end up coming home with something. That is how I got a new DSM last October!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:59 AM

Went to look this morning and got a really good hands-on demo from the owner, Barb, of the Avante Handi-Quilter. Started out right from how to put the quilt on the leaders on up. Really comprehensive and, she let me just play for a bit at the end.
Her suggestions were that I bring a small quilt in and actually use the machine to quilt the top and that I see other makes as well before I make a decision.
There would certainly be a learning curve to the FMQ. I thought it would be a lot easier, as it seems more intuitive to move the "pencil", rather than move the "paper" as I do on my domestic, but my pebbles and hearts and other designs were pretty rough. It's all practice, right?
The owner also has lots of pantos to choose from.
Do I see a long arm in my future??? Can't say for sure, but stranger things have happened.....

Watson
Old 05-31-2016, 12:32 PM

Regardless of your intentions, GET THE BIGGEST ONE!
Old 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Yes, what MaryKatherine says. I think a throat opening 22-26 inches and a frame 12 feet wide is great. You'll be able to tackle anything. Do you want to sit down or stand when quilting?

I own an INNOVA 26 inches on a 12 foot frame.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 05-31-2016 at 12:50 PM.