Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
guys in quilt shops >

guys in quilt shops

guys in quilt shops

Old 07-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Both shops that I frequent are very good to their "guy" customers! Magazines, coffee, chat; made to feel right at home! But on a slightly different note: When I worked in LQS#1, a very tall beautiful woman in heels, red dress, make-up to the max, came in. All of us were in shock! It was really a guy in drag. We weren't prepared for that one. S/he looked around a bit and left. I wonder what we could have done differently at the time. I no longer work~retired~and I wonder if s/he ever came back, or if s/he was a quilter, or was just trying out a new outfit. :oops: :?:
It was Billy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Honestly do you realized that I broke a heel right after I left there....:roll:

See I cant even go to one shop before I am spotted.......I was seeing if they would wait on me faster.......yeah thats it.....customer service!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm always dragging my grandkids to fabric stores. One granddaughter (14) has made a quilt, the other granddaughter (12) is making a quilt with butterfly prints. One of the young women in our LQS went all over the store pulling out butterfly prints for her to look at. My granddaughter had a ball. Then, this year my 9 yr. old grandson saw some pirate fabric and asked me if I would make him a quilt using that fabric. I told him no, I would not make it, but I would help him to make it. I said a sewing machine is just another machine and that all boys and ment should know how one works. So, he and I made it together. It was fun. He didn't like ripping out too much, but liked the sewing. My husband also knows how to sew. When he goes to a quilt store to buy for me, the ladies love him and I get LOTS of really neat gifts from him.
Verna
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 PM

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 07-10-2010, 05:04 PM

I'm always dragging my grandkids to fabric stores. One granddaughter (14) has made a quilt, the other granddaughter (12) is making a quilt with butterfly prints. One of the young women in our LQS went all over the store pulling out butterfly prints for her to look at. My granddaughter had a ball. Then, this year my 9 yr. old grandson saw some pirate fabric and asked me if I would make him a quilt using that fabric. (He has a huge quilt that I recently made him.) I told him no, I would not make it, but I would help him to make it. I said a sewing machine is just another machine and that all boys and ment should know how one works. So, he and I made it together. It was fun. He didn't like ripping out too much, but liked the sewing. My husband also knows how to sew. When he goes to a quilt store to buy for me, the ladies love him and I get LOTS of really neat gifts from him.
Verna
Old 07-10-2010, 05:09 PM

I call my lqs & tell them what I want & then send hubby by. They treat him well. Both of my sons can cook, sew & wash clothes. My DD was too busy to fool with mom so she didn't really learn to cook as well. Has never touched a sewing machine. I am a Renanissonce woman. I can use power tools, put brakes on a car & change the oil if I have too. Cook anything & sew or make anything I see. Wedding cakes included. Give 2 very large dogs there pills (hubby is scared they will bite him) & just about anything else youi can throw at me. Can't saddle a horse because of shoulder injury.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:16 PM

I would have made a copy of the receipts and send a letter (being cordial) to the first shop to show the sale they missed and the return customer they lost. A shame they don't realize that a "happy husband of a quilter" means more sales for them.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:22 PM

I have an LQS that meets you at the door and stays with you the whole time you are there. It makes me feel like a potential thief. I can understand they are working on a small margin and the shoplifting can be a problem but I just thought to myself, for awhile, that they were trying to provide world class customer service. That is until my son came in with me one day. They were so so rude to him that I only go back there to finish my BOM. It costs $1 a month and I am not going to purchase the finishing kit from them.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:25 PM

well Billy when you get to Tucson, Holler! we have got lots of cool shops to visit
Old 07-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by azdesertrat
well Billy when you get to Tucson, Holler! we have got lots of cool shops to visit
I wonder how many folks go on a 6000 mile shop hop on a custom chopper? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey you can count me in I am there!!

Billy
Old 07-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I have an LQS that meets you at the door and stays with you the whole time you are there. It makes me feel like a potential thief. I can understand they are working on a small margin and the shoplifting can be a problem but I just thought to myself, for awhile, that they were trying to provide world class customer service. That is until my son came in with me one day. They were so so rude to him that I only go back there to finish my BOM. It costs $1 a month and I am not going to purchase the finishing kit from them.
He can always borrow my dress and heels LOL!!

Honestly though, why are quilt shop owners so snooty? Do they not realize that this is Folk Art and the last time I saw how the lovely ladies did it back in the day it was done as a social event and they used pretty much what ever they had.

Maybe if we got back to the roots of the whole thing then they might drop the attitude.

Billy