Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
guys in quilt shops >

guys in quilt shops

guys in quilt shops

Old 07-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Billy,
That's a beautiful quilt! You did a wonderful job with the quilting and piecing.

I made a crumb quilt and pieced it all with my 1937 Singer 201K treadle.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719wHQNjg
Sharon W.
OMG!!! I love it!!

I am really partial to scrappies just because they are so festive looking. But I really like that one!

Billy
Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Billy,
Thank you!! I'm demoing it for my guild's quilt show. The lady in charge of the demos for this year's quilt show loved it too. She has me doing the demo for Friday and Saturday.
I love to make scrap quilts too, that's mostly what I make.
Sharon
Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM

My husband goes into 3 of our LQS to buy gift certificates or goodies for me on occasion. They all know who me and therefore know him as well. So when they see him coming they know exactly the kinds of fabric, etc I like and are more than happy to show off the new stuff because he always buys.
Each of my 3 sons, 30, 28 & 24, all have basic sewing machines that I've picked up at garage sales but it's my middle son who is quite handy with a machine and he doesn't hesitate to hit Joanne's or the LQS and has always been happy with his experiences there.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Hi there Justme and ckcowl if you get to if either of you two get around Mason or Oceana counties give me a pm and I'll take you to all of our shops the people are friendly :-D
Old 07-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Banned

I hate to say it but my husband is better at picking out fabric than I am. I am that little girl who mixed plaids and stripes. I have to say has any had issue with quilt groups? I emailed one explained who I was and never heard back. It is a sad society that people exclude others. I love this group for being so open and welcoming. I have yet to read a bad remark or snide comment anywhere! Thank you all for what you do it makes me feel more welcome and confident in my skills that others are willing to help.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
Magazines that men enjoy? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Great idea! I think I'll bring in a few to my LQS and suggest if a man comes in while wife is shopping, they offer him a drink, a mag or two and MAKE SPACE ON THE COUCH which is usually beautifully displayed with georgous FQ's in baskets and bolts of the newest fabs!
No Playboy! But hunting and fishing, hot rod, cars; that kinda thing. Guess I shoulda said that to start with! LOL
Guess I read between the lines :oops:
Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM

the door mouse in bettsville,oh is GREAT! Check their website- in 2 wks they're having a SOUPER BOWL party!Take canned goods for the food pantry, get entered into a contest! PLUS A SALE !!!!! Can't wait!!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:40 PM

I work quite often in a lqs and the owner (Dick) does all of the quilting on the computerized machine. He cuts fabric and helps all of the ladies & gentleman that come in the shop. We see a lot more men quilting and enjoying the craft. My grandfather made all of his hunting vests, gun cases, etc. I worked many years (20) in hardware and when I first started, there were a lot of barriers to jump over, but most of that is changing. Thank heavens. My husband does all of the floors, dish washer, his own laundry and the yard work. He is a definate keeper.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Lilpoohbearie,
I mixed plaids and stripes in the quilt top I'm piecing now.
I am using plaids,stripes and shirting prints.
Its a queen size top for my son, I just need to make 5 more blocks and then sew the borders on.
Sharon W.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Both shops that I frequent are very good to their "guy" customers! Magazines, coffee, chat; made to feel right at home! But on a slightly different note: When I worked in LQS#1, a very tall beautiful woman in heels, red dress, make-up to the max, came in. All of us were in shock! It was really a guy in drag. We weren't prepared for that one. S/he looked around a bit and left. I wonder what we could have done differently at the time. I no longer work~retired~and I wonder if s/he ever came back, or if s/he was a quilter, or was just trying out a new outfit. :oops: :?:
It was Billy! :lol: :lol: :lol: