Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
guys in quilt shops >

guys in quilt shops

guys in quilt shops

Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Yup, yup Debbie. I just found this place. So much fun!!!!!
Nice to see you here too.

Originally Posted by MI Applique Queen
Anna is that you from KW site?

Debi

Grand Rapids, MI
Old 07-10-2010, 12:59 PM

Billy I would love a meet up in Arizona. (But don't have a place to bed you down, sorry to say.) I am in Phoenix, on the west side of town.

As for shops and men.......
Most of the shops around here are pretty good with male customers. One of the shops, down on the far south side of town is owned by 3 guys, and called "3 Dudes Quilt shop".
When I worked in a fabric store we had several gentlemen that shopped there regularly, both for craft stuff and fabrics. One guy did a lot of Special Barbie outfits and many of the prototypes were done with fabric from our store.
Our manager was a guy and we frequently had male employees that sewed and knew what they were doing.
Several of the local shops have male employees and are very good at working with men who are shopping for significant others and are out of their comfort zones.
Several of the shops even have special "men's nights" during the holiday season to help guys shop for their wives/girlfriends and so on. They provide wish lists for the women to fill out, the shop has them for the guys. and so on.

My husband is hoot in a fabric shop..... he usually finds fabric that he thinks would make a great sports shirt. <G> (the wilder the better.)

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx
Out west is almost every state on the other side of the Mississippi to me. This trip is going to be over a month long journey for me to go on. I want to see all I can see and meet and stay with as many members and their families as I can. I honestly do not expect to stay in a hotel until I get to the Grand Canyon and then I will be there for 3 days.

But yes I will be in your neck of the woods!!

Billy[/quote]
Old 07-10-2010, 01:05 PM

Billy,
Its truely amazing how people think that if you use a treadle machine you must be nuts. I use my Singers 201k
and 15-90 treadles to piece quite a few of my quilts; I've
even quilted some baby quilts with the 15-90. The ladies in my quilting bee tried to tell me that it just wasn't possible. To which I said, "But you can see the evidence,
that it is indeed possible; since I just showed you!"
Sharon W.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:11 PM

My youngest son made a quilt for his first car. He bought two of the old fake fir coats at a thrift shop, cut them into squares and rectangles, sewed them all together and backed the whole thing with flannel. He still has that quilt in his car and he will turn 47 next week. I am still surprised it has survived all these years.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:12 PM

I really had to smile at these stories. I work in a fabric store and I can't tell you what a relief it is sometimes to have a gentleman come in. For the most, they know what they want and what they like. Of course we do get a few who "where sent by their wives" and have no idea about what is going on. They really are fun and enjoy being helped
Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 PM

My lqs has a man that does all the longarm quilting for them and one day when i went in there there was a man in there having fabric cut on the accu-quilt for his wife. They were the only 2 in the shop and i ended up chatting with them for almost as long as i do with the lady that owns the shop and the girl that works for her. They are wonderful and very helpful to everyone who comes in. I have never seen anyone be snubbed in there, male or female.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Billy,
Its truely amazing how people think that if you use a treadle machine you must be nuts. I use my Singers 201k
and 15-90 treadles to piece quite a few of my quilts; I've
even quilted some baby quilts with the 15-90. The ladies in my quilting bee tried to tell me that it just wasn't possible. To which I said, "But you can see the evidence,
that it is indeed possible; since I just showed you!"
Sharon W.
I know if you look at the quilt in my avatar that was the one I was fixing to work on when I went to the shop. I FMQed it on my Universal 15 which is my favorite machine in the world to use.!

Billy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79297[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79292.jpe  
Old 07-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Yup, yup Debbie. I just found this place. So much fun!!!!!
Nice to see you here too.

Originally Posted by MI Applique Queen
Anna is that you from KW site?

Debi

Grand Rapids, MI
Hi Anna, I thought those adorable girls looked familiar. They sure are growing up fast. It is fun on here.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:36 PM

My DH would be bored to tears in a quilt or fabric store so he generally stays out in the car if he has to go with me, which is generally when we're traveling I'll want to stop at all the fabric stores and rock shops and he'll want to stop at all the woodworking shops and tractor places. It's a good trade off.

On the other side of the coin, I frequent my DH's favorite woodworking store for gift certificates and I've even purchased chunks of wood and pen blanks for him. I have no idea what I'm doing but the guys that work there can't help me enough. They always make me feel welcome.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 PM

Billy,
That's a beautiful quilt! You did a wonderful job with the quilting and piecing.

I made a crumb quilt and pieced it all with my 1937 Singer 201K treadle.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719wHQNjg
Sharon W.