Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
guys in quilt shops >

guys in quilt shops

guys in quilt shops

Old 07-10-2010, 04:41 AM

Every independent store I have been to, and believe me, if there is one in the state, I have been there; the owners have a nice spot in the store, some have coffee and all of them have a seating area near the front door for husbands to wait. Several have magazines that men enjoy. That way the are entertained and time flies by and I can shop for however much time I neeed. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-10-2010, 04:46 AM

Magazines that men enjoy? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 07-10-2010, 04:50 AM

I have four sons and taught them all how to sew simple stuff and on the machine, cook, clean house and do laundry. In return, they and my DH taught me how to change a tire, what makes a car engine work (so I could spot trouble), build and do electrical repairs.
They have all had their hard times and always thank me and DH for teaching them to be resourceful.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:42 AM

One of our LQS's is very friendly and the other you practically have to drag them over to help
Old 07-10-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
if it floats your boat then go with it. that is what i say most of the time. quilting is like anything else, a guy can do it and I think that all guys should lean basic sewing and women should learn basics in hunting, from guns to arrows. parents do their kids a disservice by not allowing a kids to learn as many skills as they have time fore. I went to a middle school and high school that taught archery and shooting to the boys but the girls were not allowed. It was during gym. can't remember but think that we had to learn dancing at that time. was mad because wanted to do the archery and shooting. more fun for me. not very coordinated when it comes to dancing. I look like I am having a seizure. So all you dads out there teach your sons to sew at least a hole in their cloths. it will do them a world of good later. my hubby can't iron or sew a button on to save his life. he has learned to vacuum since meeting me. hehe.
My hubs has no problem going into a quilt/fabric shop. If the store has an attitude that is their problem not his. As for hunting, I learned from my aunt when I was a girl. Auntie and her kids would come and get my grandmother and me (Gran raised me) and we would all go out and hunt. Get on the logging roads as we live in the mountains and Auntie would get grouse or if a deer happened in the sights. Now my father showed me how to change oil, flush the radiator and change park plugs. Dad said if I get a dumb husband I'll need to know how to do these things myself. Mind you, this was back-in-the-day when cars were more simple to maintain before all the computer stuff went into them and all the miles of hoses too. Hubby and me lift the hood of the car and think, 'what is all that stuff?' Dad would be proud I have a hubby that know how to change oil, replace spark plugs and minor repair and not afraid to go into a quilt/fabric shop by himself.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:49 AM

I'm the machanincal one in this marriage too. But don't do oil changes or breaks. So husband had to learn how to do those. He also does the vacumming, windows and irons his own clothes. I taught him how to do house work and laundry. We both work and I was not doing 2 jobs while he did one. I never could make a good cook out of him. But that's okay. Both of my sons can clean a house as well as I can, cook, do laundry and all the boy stuff too. Their wives love it since they work too.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 AM

Motor or bikecycle?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:05 AM

Both of my favorite shops here in Grand Rapids. Gall and Smith Owen are owned and run my men. Gall also has salesmen and the last time I was there it was a guy who came up with the perfect fabric for the wall hanging I was finishing. My husband goes to Gall when he wants to get something for me and is always treated well.

He doesn't mind going to a fabric store at all. When we travel we stop at them too and he finds them colorful and interesting. He doesn't sew but appreciates things made. He knows a lot of quilters. We go to a retreat in MO in April. I sew and he rides his bikecycle, golfs and goes on short trips. All the ladies know him and he enjoys talking to them. He can hold he can hold his own with quilters. We have a wonderful time.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:28 AM

My DH alway's goes in with me. He makes shopping a lot easier. I keep handing him the bolts and telling him how much yardage I need, he then goes and get's them cut, while I can continue shopping. He also does the dishes and laundry. He's deffently a keeper. It's our 13 year annaversy (sp?) on Monday, so I went and bought him a new fishing boat. Now's it's time to go fishing. LOVE IT!!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by alreadyaddicted
My DH alway's goes in with me. He makes shopping a lot easier. I keep handing him the bolts and telling him how much yardage I need, he then goes and get's them cut, while I can continue shopping. He also does the dishes and laundry. He's deffently a keeper. It's our 13 year annaversy (sp?) on Monday, so I went and bought him a new fishing boat. Now's it's time to go fishing. LOVE IT!!
How lucky you both are. I love fishing too. We will be married 17 years in Dec. Where has the time gone.