Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hanging Quilts for Pictures >

Hanging Quilts for Pictures

Hanging Quilts for Pictures

Old 06-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Default Hanging Quilts for Pictures

It's just an observation on my part.

Considering the amount of work that goes into them, I cannot understand why I've seen so many laying on grass, over wooden fences, and even dangling in the snow.

It makes me think of the movie "How to Make an American Quilt". The ladies got the thing all done, gave it to the girl, and she has it wrapped around her shoulders walking down the driveway dragging it in the dirt.

Am I getting old, or is it that not everyone appreciates it?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:59 PM

If it's used and loved, I'm happy. Oops, that was a observation about what happened in the movie. Talk about missing the point ;-) Sorry.

I don't have a problem with those photo set-ups. I doubt the quilt is being damaged.

Last edited by DebraK; 06-06-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

It isn't easy taking pictures. I usually put mine up on the design wall. You might be worried for nothing because there may just be a sheet under the quilt.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

I used to always hang mine on the clothes line but found they look so much better when draped over the bench, etc. And yes, my jaw dropped when i saw that quilt being dragged in the dirt. yeppers, it got me quite upset!!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 PM

I was also wondering if she was going to pick up the quilt and. Get it out of the dirt. Love the show. Though.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:49 PM

I haven't seen the movie, but sounds like something I would not like to see...a quilt in the dirt? but then some people have "picnic quilts". I try to hang my quilts for pictures but I don't have a good way to hang one so its nice and flat and in good light.. .I am working on that
Old 06-06-2014, 05:11 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
If it's used and loved, I'm happy. Oops, that was a observation about what happened in the movie. Talk about missing the point ;-) Sorry.

I don't have a problem with those photo set-ups. I doubt the quilt is being damaged.
I agree DebraK.
The used part I have a problem with is when I see one under the furniture in the back of a pickup truck or under a car in the garage/yard with the oil being changed!

Jan in VA
Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 PM

I think I understand your statement and I personally love to take my completed quilts out for a ride in mountains or country side and take pictures of them in interesting places. Below is a picture the quilt I made for our 46th wedding anniversary the Carpenter's Wheel. The Arkansas Crossroads was going to be a quilt just for me, then the floods in Colorado last September destroyed our friends home so it was meant to be for them.

The location for the photos was "The Old Stone Church" built in the late 1800's and never occupied as the local predominant religion at the time didn't like another faith coming to town. It is quite often used as a backdrop for bridal pictures...and I'm sure there is worry about a wedding dress being damaged too :0)

I've never had a quilt harmed by a brief draping, laying or hanging in an interesting place, (to me) of course I'm careful when placing them.

So for me, and I need to say I AM old :0) finding unique backdrops to showcase my quilts is indeed one of things my husband and I enjoy so much. I must also say, that none of my quilts are quilt show bound nor will any ever be in any competition, they are made for friends and family and my quilting is a my pleasure as I learn more and more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478182[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]478183[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 13-10-loucks-rex-quilt-stone-church-03.jpg   13-10-loucks-rex-quilt-stone-church-06.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 05:23 PM

I think your quilts are beautiful and love the way you have showcased them. I don't have much room or a whole wall to show any I make. I just use my queen bed but it doesn't do them justice. The natural daylight really show yours off!

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
I think I understand your statement and I personally love to take my completed quilts out for a ride in mountains or country side and take pictures of them in interesting places. Below is a picture the quilt I made for our 46th wedding anniversary the Carpenter's Wheel. The Arkansas Crossroads was going to be a quilt just for me, then the floods in Colorado last September destroyed our friends home so it was meant to be for them.

The location for the photos was "The Old Stone Church" built in the late 1800's and never occupied as the local predominant religion at the time didn't like another faith coming to town. It is quite often used as a backdrop for bridal pictures...and I'm sure there is worry about a wedding dress being damaged too :0)

I've never had a quilt harmed by a brief draping, laying or hanging in an interesting place, (to me) of course I'm careful when placing them.

So for me, and I need to say I AM old :0) finding unique backdrops to showcase my quilts is indeed one of things my husband and I enjoy so much. I must also say, that none of my quilts are quilt show bound nor will any ever be in any competition, they are made for friends and family and my quilting is a my pleasure as I learn more and more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478182[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]478183[/ATTACH]
Old 06-06-2014, 05:30 PM

or under a litter box? first quilt i ever gave mom ;-)