Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hanging Quilts for Pictures >

Hanging Quilts for Pictures

Hanging Quilts for Pictures

Old 06-07-2014, 07:16 AM

I have a trailer for our ATVs and golf cart, it has a ramp on the back. If I can remember to go out in the early morning, I can usually get a good picture of the quilt. Waiting to later in the day usually ends up with very harsh light and shadows. You just have to be creative.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]478222[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]478223[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   001a.jpg  
Old 06-07-2014, 07:27 AM

I don't think it is harming the quilts in most cases...probably have a sheet or something under the quilt to protect it if in a funny location...

After my Nana died, my grandfather decided to use 2 old quilts that Nana's Aunt had made (treadle machine & hand quilted) to cover the snowblower in the garage and in the trunk of his car around the hand lawnmower that he took to the cemetary. I only found them after seeing the one in the trunk in shreds...grabbed to other one off the snowblower and marched into the house. This has to be 30 years ago...I can still remember the argument with Pop. He wanted to know what he was going to cover the snowblower with??? I told him to use his winter coat!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:31 AM

I love the different backdrops. It makes the pictures much more interesting. And I don't ever want a quilt I'm afraid to touch.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 AM

no comment on the movie, but when I take a picture of a quilt, it's better to have it hanging on my front porch rail or some place where the whole quilt shows.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 AM

What really irritates me is when some of the online sites show a quilt pattern for sale and the way the have it pictured you can't really see the whole design. If I am going to buy a pattern, I want to see what the whole quilt looks like, not draped over something with just a quarter of the quilt showing.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

When lacking a large enough wall space to hang a finished quilt for pictures, I think it's OK to take pictures of the quilt on whatever surface is available, as it will only be for a short period of time, then the quilt will be removed. I did, however, get upset when I saw a picture of a family reunion quilt that I'd made, lying on the floor with my nephew and his very large Labrador dog. Apparently, the quilts mean more to me than it did to him, but there's nothing I can do about it. I make them for our bi-annual family reunions with the intent that they be passed on to other generations, but perhaps they mean more to me than they do to some of my family members.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:16 AM

I have to admit to giving a quilt to my dogs to lay on on the floor She never liked me and made everyone in the family a cute little simple quilt. Mine is the ugliest thing you ever saw LOL. But my dogs love it so I consider it put to good use. I also freaked out about dragging the quilt in the dirt in the movie. But then I had to think about the fact that it was made in Hollywood and whoever made it was obviously not appreciative of quilts or the quilting arts.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:23 AM

The second picture looks like a post card ( remember those) lol Beautiful quilts.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

The pics of the quilts at the old stone church are amazing. Kaffe Fasset, in his book. "Simple Shapes, Spectacular Quilts", went to great lengths to find unique and complimentary venues to photograph the quilts. They are pictured on stone walls, Iron fences, on cobblestones, etc. I don't see anything wrong with laying out a quilt for a photo op in the snow or on the grass. First, I can't think of anything purer, more pristine or cleaner than new fallen snow. I know for a fact I have pictured quilts here on the QB on my clothesline and a bit of it was in the fresh snow. When laid out on grass I have a sheet or tarp underneath. There is no place in my home to lay out a quilt where you can see the whole quilt. If I drape it on a bed, part of it hangs over and is obscured. I have very low ceilings in my home so no wall space big enough to accommodate one. Photographing a quilt in a unique setting or on the grass or on the snow in no way demonstrates a disrespect for all the hard work. On the contrary, the setting is always meant to show off the quilt in the best light as possible and show the whole quilt if possible.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:26 PM

Years ago, a now-defunct quilting magazine went to great lengths to show how the quilts were protected by using sheets, plastic sheets, etc., under the quilt being photographed. They were so careful to make sure that nothing damaged the quilt.