Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
heat n bond versus fusibles? >

heat n bond versus fusibles?

heat n bond versus fusibles?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Darlene
I saw Nancy Zieman cut out the center for fusing and thought that was a good idea but isn't it wasteful?
It's not wasteful if you save the centers to use for smaller pieces of applique.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 AM

ok her is my question i tried the basting spray and hated it got on EVERYTHING so i have made my own double sided fusible fleece this works great for wallhangings my quilting turns out wonderfully no shifting and hardly no puckers so what can i get that will temp fuse my quilt top batting and backing is there a fusing product that will keep my quilts from moving while quilting and will wash away or is not stiff i really like doing this i know it is a little more work but my stuff turns out soooo much better can someone please help me!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by angieh1964
ok her is my question i tried the basting spray and hated it got on EVERYTHING
Here are a couple of suggestions to spray baste without it getting on everything.

Lay down a king-sized flat sheet to catch overspray; toss in the laundry when done.

Use 505 (no one has complained about it not washing out of a fabric).

When spraying, walk around the quilt and spray from the edge towards the center; minimizes overspray.

Spray outside in the driveway. People have posted about setting up a table outside, leaning insulation boards against a closed garage door, taping a sheet to a garage door or garage wall, setting up sawhorses with plywood on top to spray baste.

Personally, I think creating a temporary setup in the driveway is the best and easiest way to go.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I am going to try the glue.
If you use the Elmer's glue, be aware that it will not permanently fuse the applique edge to the background fabric. It's fine if you want a ragged-edge applique, or if you want to use a satin stitch edging for the applique, or if it's for a wallhanging that will not be washed.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

heat and bond is a fusable...it is just a brand name, same as steam a seam and wonder under. all are fusables and can be used for applique. some are stiffer than others, some are difficult to hand stitch through, some need to be sewn some don't try what ever you find and decide what works for you and what you like for the projects you make. as with everything else some like one not the other, it's a personal choice, usually based on what's available and what your final project will be used for.