Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help! Binding quandry

Blog Entries

Help! Binding quandry

I am making a challah (Jewish ceremonial bread) cover as a wedding gift. i decided to give the border a little curve but now I don't know how to bind and have the corners lie straight. Should I try a very thin binding out of a material like white batik??? Advise welcome. Wedding next Sunday!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 
    Kathryn Bishburg
    Traditionally-built Norwegian lady

Very cool design! You could use a facing rather than binding.

You need to cut the binding on the bias to go around curves. There are a lot of tutorials on how to make continuous bias binding. Just google it. Take your time sewing the binding on the curves easing as needed and you will be fine. I think a narrow binding would work well and look nice. What you have done looks nice. Stitch binding to the front and use small ladder stitches to attach to the back and you will have an elegant finish.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I could not agree with SilverNeedle more. She took the words right out of my mouth, both about the bias binding and the ladder stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    You need to cut the binding on the bias to go around curves. There are a lot of tutorials on how to make continuous bias binding. Just google it. Take your time sewing the binding on the curves easing as needed and you will be fine. I think a narrow binding would work well and look nice. What you have done looks nice. Stitch binding to the front and use small ladder stitches to attach to the back and you will have an elegant finish.
    I agree completely!!!

Those are such gentle curves; you should have no trouble as long as you cut your binding strips on the bias. Very nice design, by the way!
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Blog Entries
    you've done very well so far. just cut bias strips and sew them on. your corners will be treated the same as if the borders were straight. good luck.