Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!! Breaking needles; new machine >

HELP!!! Breaking needles; new machine

HELP!!! Breaking needles; new machine

Old 11-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Default HELP!!! Breaking needles; new machine

I have a new-to-me Juki TL 98-E. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I keep breaking needles. I have re-threaded the machine several times, and followed the manual to a T. The needle is in correctly. The quilting foot is on tight. The bobbin is on correctly. It doesn't seem to be hitting the plate. The tension seems to be good.
I had this problem with my other machine (that I got rid of because of this same problem). I guess it has to be something I'm doing (or not doing).
I'm near tears because I don't know what else to do! This is all new to me and very discouraging. Please help!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:44 PM

So sorry you're having trouble with your 'new' machine. If you did everything that you said you did, the only thing that comes to mind is either the wrong size needle (certain machines take certain needles) or the timing is off and the needle is hitting something on the way down past the plate near the bobbin.

Question though...what are you trying to sew...simple 2 layers of cotton? or something thicker?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
So sorry you're having trouble with your 'new' machine. If you did everything that you said you did, the only thing that comes to mind is either the wrong size needle (certain machines take certain needles) or the timing is off and the needle is hitting something on the way down past the plate near the bobbin.

Question though...what are you trying to sew...simple 2 layers of cotton? or something thicker?
I have been using the needles that came with the machine. I've tried different sizes, just in case.

I have a new quilt frame that I was trying. I need to learn how to quilt on this thing, and when I try, this happens. However, I didn't put any batting in and am just sewing 1/4 of an old sheet (probably not 100% cotton) to another 1/4 of the same sheet. Not anything thick.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Is it possible that you are pulling on the fabric as you guide it? I broke several needles when I started to practice free-motion quilting and I was pulling the quilt around a corner.

I hope you can find the problem.

K
Old 11-21-2011, 06:51 PM

You're moving the machine fast enough the needle is being flexed instead of going up and down. Slow down, a lot!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
Is it possible that you are pulling on the fabric as you guide it? I broke several needles when I started to practice free-motion quilting and I was pulling the quilt around a corner.

I hope you can find the problem.

K
No, not this time! I've got it on a mid-arm frame, I guess is what you'd call it. I'm moving the machine around, not the fabric. But I'm doing it really really really slow and I don't think that is what is causing it. I thought that's what I was doing wrong before. So I bought a mid arm and frame and sold my domestic that I was learning to FMQ on. I'd rather be breaking needles on my $50 machine than my $400 one
Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
You're moving the machine fast enough the needle is being flexed instead of going up and down. Slow down, a lot!
No, honestly, I'm going really slow. I'm not even trying to "quilt" I'm just trying to isolate the problem.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM

You said you're using sheets which I believe a lot of quilters won't use because it's difficult to quilt with them. Their weave is different from quilting cotton. Maybe it's this.

If not, sorry don't have a clue. I'll watch for the right answer/solution.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Not sure which frame you're using - is it possible that there is too much play between the fabric and the needle plate? I have to be sure to adjust the height of my take-up roller so there's just a finger-width between the fabric and the bed of the machine. Have to move my roller up as I get more of the quilt on the take-up roller.

With too much space between the fabric and machine bed, depending on the speed you're going, you may be bending the needle just enough to break it.

And then, there's the story of my first machine on the frame - a Pfaff GrandQuilter - the plate covering the feed dogs was misaligned just enough to catch the edge of the needle each stitch. Ended up breaking a dozen needles before I saw the mangled feed dog cover ...
Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 PM

Did you Buy the machine locally? Can you take it to where you bought it and let them see the problem? I have recently discovered that my Janome eats Schmetz needle but sews like a charm with Dritz. But you said these were the needles that come with the machine, so it might really be worth a trip to the dealer. This happened to me a while ago with my Necchi and it was all about the "timing" Good Luck!!