Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with inserting a zip into a bag with a shoulder strap >

Help with inserting a zip into a bag with a shoulder strap

Help with inserting a zip into a bag with a shoulder strap

Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Hi all - I've made tons of bags but always with button closures and I've had a request for a shoulder bag with a zipper closure. I've googled and found free tutes for inserting a zipper - this is about the most logical to me http://twelve22.org/2006/07/zipper_tutorial.html

But my question is, would I insert the shoulder strap at the same time as the zip, like when you make a bag without a zip and you put the strap in so it gets trapped between the lining and the outer? Or do I leave a gap when inserting the zip and stuff the strap in afterwards? And what happens at the open end of the zip, I would think it couldn't close right to the end because of the bulk of the strap? Sorry, I'm having a mental block over this! Hope a bag/zipper expert can help me! Thanks in advance for any advice, links or pictures! :-D

Here's a link to a shoulder bag I made without a zip and this is the style I'd like to make. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-66009-1.htm :-D
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 AM

Hello k3n, see if this will help you http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64427-1.htm I love zipper and remember that there was a tutorialos.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks for that - it is useful for the actual zipper insertion but the handles are at the side so it doesn't really give me a clue as to how to incorporate a shoulder strap. Thanks for taking the time though. :-D
Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 AM

The part of this tut for putting in a zipper, will take care of all your questions...it was very easy and works great.

http://www.boutiqueelliette.com/?p=246
Old 05-11-2011, 04:40 AM

:oops:
Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 AM

Going to try this again.

I would recommend double stitching the handles in place before placing the zipper and stitching it.

I have also seen zippers done so that they are a short way down below the upper edge of the tote and the handles stitched in such a way that they are attached to that 3/4" - 1" inner edge as well as to the seam with the zipper.

Both of these methods will help keep the handles from pulling out along the zipper.

Oh, and if you use the webbing for handles, be very sure to singe the cut ends thoroughly to melt the loose fibers together or the ends can fray horribly (ask me how I learned this!)
Old 05-11-2011, 06:53 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
The part of this tut for putting in a zipper, will take care of all your questions...it was very easy and works great.

http://www.boutiqueelliette.com/?p=246
Thanks - that tote seems to have an extra section in the top for the zip - is this necessary? I was planning to just fit it in the two faces of the bag... :?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mom-6
Going to try this again.

I would recommend double stitching the handles in place before placing the zipper and stitching it.

I have also seen zippers done so that they are a short way down below the upper edge of the tote and the handles stitched in such a way that they are attached to that 3/4" - 1" inner edge as well as to the seam with the zipper.

Both of these methods will help keep the handles from pulling out along the zipper.

Oh, and if you use the webbing for handles, be very sure to singe the cut ends thoroughly to melt the loose fibers together or the ends can fray horribly (ask me how I learned this!)
I'm planning on using a quilted strap to match the bag and I WILL sew it in securely! I guess instead of attaching the handles across the seams at the sides of the bag, I could offset them, one just round the front and one just round the back? Would that work? I'm worried that the bulk and width of the strap at the end will prevent the zip from closing fully. What I should really do is make a mock up before starting on my commissioned bag but I'm far too lazy, ermmm, I mean, BUSY! :lol:
Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 AM

You can just add the "tabs" at each end of the zipper so you will have a good start and stop for the zipper.

I would use a 2" square instead of the 4" one for a purse.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
You can just add the "tabs" at each end of the zipper so you will have a good start and stop for the zipper.

I would use a 2" square instead of the 4" one for a purse.
Ahhh did you hear the clang? That was the penny dropping! :oops: I can use the construction method in the tute you posted to attach the zip to each side and insert the end squares to enable closure? Am I getting it? Sorry to be so thick! :shock: :lol: