Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me please find a great pattern...

Southern Illinois (also HI, OR, WA, TX, CA, MO, etc.)

Help me please find a great pattern...

My younger sister has just been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer. She will have to have five years of chemotherapy. I want to make a special quilt for her to keep warm during the infusion treatments. I don't want to use the typical "Cancer" fabrics or "Hope" ribbons to remind her. I want to make it positive and colorful. I need suggestions. The whole thing is a bit overwhelming right now. Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks, Elizabeth

How bout hearts you can't go wrong with them

You could even stuff them with alittle batting so they puff up

I like floral quilts as they speak to "new" beginnings. I know you "both" are on a tough road ahead. I lost my mom to breast cancer & my sister to colon cancer. They have so many new treatments & meds now than when my mother lost her battle in 1984. Try to say as positive as possible & I hope you live near your sister. I did not get to spend much time with my sister as we lived too far apart & I was still working. Hugs!

QM
    My reaction for any person in need of a lap quilt is to make it cheerful, so I am inagreement with you. I would suggest that you plan a quickie for right now, and possibly a 2nd later. I would suggest something like the field of diamonds or the QAYG I posted recently. For the QAYG, and fairly large scale focus fabric would do nicely. I am posting 4 recent lap quilts to give you some suggestions, but really, quick and colorful is the key.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Go with colours she likes ... and fabrics that have some significance and meaning to her!
    If she's a horse lover, or cat lover, or gardener or ?????????? then go with what she loves!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so sorry. I agree that you should go with colors or themes that she likes, whether soft tones or warm ones, home-style or modern, etc. I completely understand not wanting to make a quilt that reminds her of the cancer. There are some beautiful bargello patterns. Hunter's Star is a beautiful pattern. Perhaps back it with Minkee, flannel, or fleece for extra softness and warmth?

Blog Entries
    What about a D9patch in florals? It would be a quick quilt to make.

Look up Happy daisies on this board. It's one of the happiest quilts I have seen.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Warm wishes is also a nice quick pattern. You could use a fabric with one of her favorite things on it for the focus fabric and then bright happy colors for the rail fence block. Whatever you make will be loved.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast