Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! My sewing machine stopped working!!

If your machine is set up like mine, the wall plug and the foot pedal are connected where they both plug into the machine. I just today had to take my foot pedal in for minor repair, turned out a screw inside had come loose and contact was not being made so everything would work. Hope yours is a similarly easy fix!

you can replace the part that goes into the wall yourself. this is the thing with the prongs. it is easy. just go to a hardware store (where you get more help) to get a replacement part. all you need to do is cut the plug part off fairly close to the old plug, place the cord into the new plug, snap it shut and you are good to go. snapping it shut uses two tiny spikes that pierce the cord on each side making contact with the actual wires inside the plastic covering. just follow the attached instructions. you can do it! used to be that you needed to strip the wire a little and put the wires around the posts making direct contact with the wires. now, it is much easier to use the replacement plug that i suggested above. i would try this first before paying the big bucks to the sewing machine repair service.
    "perfection is the enemy of done."
    "the secret to having it all is knowing you already do."

Blog Entries
    rush88888, I haven't seen that one yet. It sounds too easy. I've done many that needed the wires stripped and attached to screws.

This problem does sound like a plug problem. Take the plug apart if it has a screw and see if there are loose wires. If it's a molded plug, replace it following the directions on the package.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a loose wire somewhere if you keep going could start a fire. Find an electrician and ask them to check electric. This may be cheaper than the Dr.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    sounds like the plug

Try calling your Dr and see if he can suggest what to do. Alot of the nicer repair guys will try to help you over the phone, to save you the trip and costs if it is something minor. Since it seemed to be in the plug before and by wiggling it, it would start to work then it is more than likely in that plug. In the meantime, I would take a trip to Wal Mart if you have one close and buy a little cheap machine over there, to at least get this quilt finished if the plug is not the problem. Then you will have a back up as well, and won't have to worry if something goes wrong again, with either machine. Good luck and keep us posted on the fixes...
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    I think it sounds like an electrical problem ie your plug. My husband is an electrician and said if it is plug in and the light still works it is probably the machine if the light doesn't work either it very possible the plug.

One other possibility is the wall receptacle. Just in case it isn't the plug. Have you tried a different one?
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Chances are it's your cord and nothing wrong with your machine. Take it to a sewing machine repair shop or an electrical repair shop and get them to test it. Always start with simplest first. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
    you can replace the part that goes into the wall yourself. this is the thing with the prongs. it is easy. just go to a hardware store (where you get more help) to get a replacement part. all you need to do is cut the plug part off fairly close to the old plug, place the cord into the new plug, snap it shut and you are good to go. snapping it shut uses two tiny spikes that pierce the cord on each side making contact with the actual wires inside the plastic covering. just follow the attached instructions. you can do it! used to be that you needed to strip the wire a little and put the wires around the posts making direct contact with the wires. now, it is much easier to use the replacement plug that i suggested above. i would try this first before paying the big bucks to the sewing machine repair service.
    This is good advice. But first, you can test the wall outlet. Plug an extension cord into another outlet, and then your sewing machine plug into that. If that works, it's the wall outlet that is bad. Sometimes the plug can be bent a little to make it a little snugger in the outlet. Plugs are easy to replace.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast