Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help needed re: bias sides on sqs on point fillers..

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries

Help needed re: bias sides on sqs on point fillers..

ok so im working on a UFO.. and i remember now why it was put away... my HST's are all cut on the bias and dummy me managed to stretch them wonky..

My question is, since this is going to be a me quilt anyway whats the easiest fix to remove/lessen the Wonky, stretched out bias without making it a night with jack the ripper???

it will definitely have puckers, but any suggestions to make them more minimal?? Ive starched them to a smidge shy of a stiff board and boy are they 'wavy'...

any suggestions??

Big can of spray starch and nice hot iron! It hides a multitude of sins, in my humble opinion.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Blog Entries
    I would just quilt it the way it is. At this point, there's probably not much you could do except unsewing and re-sewing. I was going to recommend starching, but you've already done that. This kind of quilt can actually become a family favorite, especially with children, because it's the quilt that's okay to use to make play tents with, cuddle with when you're really sick, use for picnics on the floor or outside in the back yard, etc.

Sometimes you just have to finish up a UFO and move on......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post

Sometimes you just have to finish up a UFO and move on......
    AMEN !!!! I hear that...

Blog Entries
    im gonna have some pretty BIG puckers..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    If it's only the side setting triangles that are like that, I would probably take them out and cut new ones, or cut these down to correct size before piecing them back in. Alternatively, you can try un-sewing just one edge. Then fold over the excess into that seam, iron, trim, and sew just that one side back in.

If you still have some excess fabric in the edge when you layer, you can run a gathering stitch along each edge. Pull up the gathering stitches as needed to evenly ease the fabric. If it's not too much, you will be able to eliminate most of the puckers. You could do the same thing with the top as is in the photo; in that case you will have puckers in the edge, but at least they will be evenly distributed puckers!

If you decide to take those out and make new side setting triangles, try using QSTs instead of HSTs, so there won't be bias on the outside edges. Or... (and this is really going out on a limb) you might try giving your quilt a scalloped edge by cutting into the setting triangles! If it works out great (and I think it might) you can pretend that was your intention all along.

I would take them out and resize them. That looks like a very nice quilt otherwise. I really like the patttern.
    follow your dreams you never know where they will take you

Blog Entries
    Setting triangles are usually made from large squares cut diagonally twice. The long edges will be on the straight of grain. Here is the formula. http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltse...ngtriangls.htm

If they were originally the right size, then only stretched out of shape, you may be able to "shrink" them back into shape, with steam (not pressing, until after the shape is regained). Not sure how the starch will affect this, though.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast