Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help needed re: bias sides on sqs on point fillers.. >

Help needed re: bias sides on sqs on point fillers..

Help needed re: bias sides on sqs on point fillers..

Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

Well doesn't that just butter your biscuits!!! I watched Sharon Scamber's(sp) YouTube video of her shrinking a quilt block down about 1/2 inch. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. She did it with repeated scratch and pressing. Watch how she does it and give the triangles a try before making a date with Jack the ripper. You could also try adding a straight of grain border along the sides. Put the triangles on the bottom and see if the feed dogs can ease them in with the correct size border?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM

I have in the past taken a triangle like this, and simply pressed the "excess" into a pleat along the seam line. Hides nicely when you quilt it, and avoids the pain of ripping it all out. Or, as an earlier poster said - cut your borders the correct length, and ease the wave into it. You will likely have a bit of a wavy quilt in the end but the UFO will be done.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
ok so im working on a UFO.. and i remember now why it was put away... my HST's are all cut on the bias and dummy me managed to stretch them wonky..

My question is, since this is going to be a me quilt anyway whats the easiest fix to remove/lessen the Wonky, stretched out bias without making it a night with jack the ripper???

it will definitely have puckers, but any suggestions to make them more minimal?? Ive starched them to a smidge shy of a stiff board and boy are they 'wavy'...

any suggestions??
After seeing your quilt; I'd measure the sides; take the average and make a border and then ease it all in and it won't be wavy anymore. It's not that bad and pretty easy to fix. I would starch it like crazy to keep it from stretching amy more than it is until after the border goes on though. That's my opinion.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

My first thought was:

1) IF you have enough of the triangle fabric - to cut new triangles so that the long edge is on the outside.

My second though was - which will be contrary to just about everything I've read so far:

Remove the triangles - soak them in hot water for about 20 minutes - swish them around a few times - to help the fabric get back to whatever it's 'normal' was and to remove the starch. Dry them on a towel or over a towel bar. Then press them gently 'on the grain' and see what they look like. They may have gotten stretched way out of shape with all the handling.

For an experiment, you could trace around the pieces to see what they look like before you dunk them and then compare the 'after' to it.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Turn it into a dart, right down the center of the triangle, to flatten it. Make it a case of "If you've got it, flaunt it"!!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Turn it into a dart, right down the center of the triangle, to flatten it. Make it a case of "If you've got it, flaunt it"!!
If you take the seam right up to the point of the triangle - it would look just like another seam.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Ghostrider, Bearisgray and I must be garment sewers - the first thing I thought of was to make a straight dart from the point of the triangle all the way out to the edge and make it look like another seam.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

How many are there?
Do you own a really good ripper?
Do you like the quilt pretty well other than the side triangles?
Do you have a good show to watch while you sit an rip of an evening?
Personally, with positive answers to these ???, I'd be ripping (or reverse sewing, as I prefer to call it).
Ultimately I'd be SO much happier with the quilt, because it it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Jan in VA
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM

Assuming the triangles were the right size in the first place, I'd do a long stitch along the outside so I could ease the fullness back where it came from by pulling the thread and then steam/press it with starch to stabilize it. I helped my daughter with a similar problem and it worked out great! If I know I will have bias pieces on an edge, I'll often stay-stitch them first.