Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with new sewing machine purchase!! >

help with new sewing machine purchase!!

help with new sewing machine purchase!!

Old 04-19-2015, 10:09 AM

I purchased a Brother from Walmart a few months ago as a back up machine for $200.00. It has drop in bobbin, needle down, needle threaders and quite a few fancy stitches. Have been using it ever since and it sews very well. my other machines are babylock, decorators choice and a 20 year old mechanical, both of which have many miles.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:27 PM

Laurafaith, I have several machines - and most of the ones out there are good machines. You might want to give the Babylock Sofia a look - while it is just a little higher than your price range - I think I paid $700 or $800 for it new, it is a sewing AND embroidery machine. This would give you the option to do embroidery when you were ready without spending any more money. It is a GREAT machine and light enough to take to classes. I use it mainly to sew because I have other embroidery machine options - but really for the price, you get it all.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Good luck on your quest. Machines aren't cheap. Check out trade ins at stores, also the ads
Old 04-19-2015, 10:13 PM

I paid about that for my babylock - espire I think it is (symphony came out later with a few more stitches) I love it for machine applique (though I really don't do enough to justify the purchase) but it has a button you can select where it will stop needle down and lift the presser foot enough to pivot turn the applique..really nice feature though others get tired of hearing the little 'beep' it makes!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/HZL-G110-Compu...EY2J607XX1ABG9

I have heard good thinks about the Juki and Amazon has this one on sale right now. I looked at it but with with 4 vintage, a Kenmore from 70's, a Kenmore 19000 embroidery and brother SQ 9000 and two surgers, I am machined out as I have no space.
Let us know what you find.
I bought this machine in December 2014. Love how it sews and handles. Like that I can move the needle a lot to get the stitch just where I want it. The ad said 37 variable positions, although I haven't taken the time to count them. I got mine through Sewing Machines Plus, online. When I called the customer service person was very helpful and walked me thorough the different models based on what I was looking for in a machine. The deal also include a bonus package of 100 needles and 20 bobbins. Oh, and they will price match also.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:05 PM

I love my Janome, Horizon, which was a demonstrator. I got it for $1,000. Showed them my income tax refund check and asked them to make it work. They did and I am really happy now for 2 years. You never know. If they are in a selling contest it also helps. If they are close to a prize then they are extra motivated. You don't know what their quota is and if they haven't met it for the year, your sale can help them maintain their franchised dealership too.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:56 PM

Tip, if looking at cheaper machines make sure they do either blanket stitch or satin stitch for you applique work. I have a small husqvana viking h100 which cost £200. It doesn't do the blanket stitch but needle moves it does great satin and zigzag stitch. It is a great little machine to take to classes as it is light in weight.
have fun looking and have as many demo as possible.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:40 PM

Good sewing machines can be pricey these days & $3-400 (which is not an insignificant amount of $), doesn't buy much in terms of quality. You could try used machines (again, the budget is a little on the low side at dealers), or consider you may "need" to spend more & start looking till you find a machine you love. Set a 2015-realistic budget (maybe $1500?) & test drive everything in that general price range. Negotiate with your LQS. Maybe you can trade in your current machine? Ask about 0% financing. Some stores, mine included, will offer layaway. Good luck
Old 04-25-2015, 01:37 PM

For me the Pfaff is the only way to go, best machine out there as long as you get the older ones, why, the older ones come with steel parts, I have one with the walking foot and one without, get one withe the walking foot, my hubbs spotted the one on craigs list with a walking foot, and got a fantastic deal, plus the guy sent it from California, he wrapped it so well, I couldn't believe it made it in one piece, and it worked beautifully, that was maybe 6 or 7 years ago, I take my machines in every year, if i have been using them non stop every 6 mos,. I just love these machines. But whatever you decide, you have to like it and use it. Best of luck looking