Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Storage ideas needed >

Help! Storage ideas needed

Help! Storage ideas needed

Old 03-18-2016, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

I also use the acid free comic boards but store them in the comic book boxes. They are larger than the boards by about two to three inches on the top and the sides. They work so well for me. And are not extremely costly. And they stack two or three high. I store mine under my cutting table and under my LA frame.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I have some on comic boards and some in plastic containers. Solid color containers are labeled and some clear containers. If you are unable to keep your fabric away from windows or even indirect lighting put a dark cloth over that will repel any sunlight. I have some thread in thread containers and some Ziploc bags. All are labeled.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:21 AM

My stash is ample, but pretty small. It mostly fits in a 4 drawer dresser. Large cuts (over 2 yards) in one drawer, flannels in another, batiks, novelty and solids the third, and all cuts under a yard, but over a quarter in the 4th. Everything is folded around my ruler, arranged by color and then stood on end so I can see everything when I open the drawer.
Everything else fits in a couple big bins, in my storage room. Scraps are sorted by color into shoebox sized, clear plastic bins.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:52 AM

I have a storage room with lots of tubs....and I'm outgrowing that. Bigger house?
Old 03-19-2016, 05:45 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a beautican's stand. I bought it online and it has dark black drawers, wheels, and the top has places to put your scissors and everything else related to quilting. It was about $29. My favorite toy.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 AM

I have a big old filing cabinet, six big drawers, and I have lots of my fabric on boards and filed in there. I'm looking for a second one.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:31 AM

I have an embroidery machine and sewing machine. For my embroidery thread I have a cabinet from IKEA called Alex drawer unit (cost was $119.00 + tax and it must be assembled). Someone here posted it showing one they customized for their thread. I just bought spice holders and use those so I can store my thread on its side and I can see the colors. There are three drawers for my thread and that leaves three drawers for my hoops and extra dish towels, aprons, etc to embroider.

For my fabric I use plastic bins. Again I went to Ikea, found some very reasonably priced shelves to put my bins on so I can see the fabric within the bins. Most of my fabric is on comic book board and it is separated by designs (Christmas, Halloween, Kids', floral, solids, sports teams, etc.). I am doing away with my larger flat bins because they stacked on each other and have decided it is so much easier to get in and out of bins if they are on the shelf and not stacked on each other. The shelves fit perfectly in the closet I have in my sewing room so I am able to close the door.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:55 AM

I have my material, many other things in containers I got at Wal Mart with snap lids and not real big as when full of material they get heavy enough for me to handle. They are clear and come in different sizes so have some deeper.
We have a number of animals and sugar sand so dust and these keep dust out. They stack well or go on shelves.
They are sterilite 24qt. 15 x 11 1/2 x 11 3/4 and have a range is depth and even sizes but fully stack-able and you can see what is in there.
Have my thread in contains no longer available at WM and also have to double sided thread container from connecting thread.

Last edited by Carol34446; 03-19-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:18 AM

I have my vintage thread in those 60's/70's hold all holders (6 short ones for regular and small spools and 1 large one to hold oversize spools like star quilting spools) and also in a large tin. My modern, fancy and decorative threads and couching materials don't fit in those and are stored in four different 60's/70's hold all sewing boxes, one of those sulky double sided cases, another large tin (for isachord and aurafil) and a couple of cases that assortments came in and also one of those plastic 3 drawer units from Target. HMMM my thread and embellishment stash might be a little over-large LOL.

My fabric is stored in a couple of different places. Home dec fabric is stored in a chest of drawers in the guest bedroom. Cotton Quilting fabric that is fat quarter size or smaller is stored in one of those Arrow Suzi units--fat quarters are stood on end in a drawer so I can see at a glance what I've got, pre-cuts (including those I make for myself from scraps) occupy the other three drawers. Anything larger than a fat quarter is stored in one of those vinyl cases that a set of king size bedding came in. Silk and Cotton saris that I use for home dec and Crazy quilts are in a cardboard box on top of the radiator in the guest bedroom. Scraps for string quilting or crumb quilting are in a shoebox. When the shoebox gets too full to close I chain piece crumbs or pull out some foundation papers and do some string piecing--both activities are good for low energy days. Anything too small to crumb quilt with or string quilt with (narrower than the width of my index finger) gets put in a 1950's metal picnic hamper to use in fused collage or for stuffing.

Rob
Old 03-20-2016, 04:54 AM

Default Storage

File storage. I found this idea on this board and am so glad I did!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 03-21-2016, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sash View Post
Bought organizer from Sams (online) for my thread storage. It's also on wheels. I believe it is called a 10 drawer organizer on wheels. It's the one with different colored drawers and 24 dollars and change. You could use it for anything, but I got it for my threads.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/...equestid=89245
I have two of these carts in my sewing room and I love them...I store my fabric in a book shelf unit with a sheet draped over the shelf to keep the dust and light out...