Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, Storing Fabric in Heat and Cold (Garage).  How Damaging is this going to be?? >

Help, Storing Fabric in Heat and Cold (Garage). How Damaging is this going to be??

Help, Storing Fabric in Heat and Cold (Garage). How Damaging is this going to be??

Old 08-22-2015, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
cathyvv, what do you store your fabrics in? I'm thinking if they are in plastic boxes, it would be hard for rodents or other pests to get inside. I would look for those moisture absorbing inserts (the tiny balls) but maybe I am being naive about the bugs/mice???
AngelinaMaria, do you have a pharmacy you use regularly? When they take pills out of the big bottles they come in to put into your prescription bottle, the big bottles have the moisture absorbing pellets inside them, and most pharmacies just toss them. I have gotten hundreds of them just by asking them to save them for me for free! 😃

Donna
Old 08-22-2015, 09:38 PM

I went to an estate sale this weekend and she had styrafoam coolers that she used for storing her fabric and art supplies in, looked like a great idea to me. I don't know where she got them from but they were square the walls were about 1 1/2 inches thick and they were light. Sounds like a win win in your type of situation. I store my stuff in a heated storage unit and have had no problems, the heat keeps it at around 55 in the winter and regular in the summer. Different places have different problems. I have some in plastic bags and some in plastic totes in this storage unit and have had no problems what so ever. Heat can cause fabric to rot as well as dampness.